The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Phoenix on what makes GTA cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Boston Phoenix on what makes GTA cool Reply with quote

In the Boston Phoenix, Mitch Krpata wrote
Quote:
All the same, this one hits the spot where so many GTA knockoffs fail. The gratuitous profanity and nihilistic violence are easy to mimic, but they're not what keep people coming back. Neither is the (false) idea that you can do anything you want within the game world. The crucial distinction is that almost everything you do in a GTA game provides a reward. Some people like to run around mugging pedestrians; they're rewarded with easy money. Some stick to the missions, and that keeps the narrative moving. Me, I like to tool around looking for sweet jumps. My reward comes in the form of slow-motion camera angles, and free money just for spinning around in mid air. No matter how you choose to play, you never feel as if you were running into arbitrary barriers.

I think he's about 2/3 right. I think he misses out in the "living breathing" city aspect; that this is a city that could exist even if the player wasn't there to have an adventure in it, and that the missions are more or less "in" that mundane world, without too many aspects that are absent in the rest of the world. It's a good point though, that so many of the features that people flock to are in fact carefully planted, especially the special jumps.

But the worlds ARE sandboxy enough that people can make up their own gameplay: for instance, the whole "Fun Things To Do" section of THAguyINgta3's Liberty City FAQ or the "Custom Missions FAQ" on GameFAQs GTA3 page. It's not 100% unique to GTA, but it's richer there than in most places...
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine wrote an excellent article about the various games he'd invented to play in Vice City. I wish I still had it... I remember one of them was based on Steven Spielberg's The Duel. The rest were good too. I can remember some of the names: 'Spousal Abuse', 'Baywatch', 'Betrayed Pimp', and 'Kill the Hobo'.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
A friend of mine wrote an excellent article about the various games he'd invented to play in Vice City. I wish I still had it... I remember one of them was based on Steven Spielberg's The Duel. The rest were good too. I can remember some of the names: 'Spousal Abuse', 'Baywatch', 'Betrayed Pimp', and 'Kill the Hobo'.

That sounds incredibly great, any chance you could get it again and post?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a root about for it tomorrow, sure.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here you go:

NEW GAMES TO PLAY IN GRAND THEFT AUTO III: VICE CITY

By Rob Halden

If I had written this article a couple of months ago I would have been ahead of the curve, but now every generic moron with a PS2 has played and bragged about the subtle joys of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. And when I say this I do of course mean the students who have embraced and celebrated this game like they do with other crap like 'Countdown' and the 1980's. But unlike Carol Vordamen's saggy sow breasts and an unhealthy attraction to Cheetara, Vice City is a work of art. So in an attempt to let everyone know that I was there first, killing prostitutes before Rockstar Games made it cool, here's a run-down of what fun you can have on the streets of Vice City.
The problem with Vice City is that it's too good. The story revolves around some sort of sea captain who keeps on wearing shorts and tells you to kill people. Kinda like those Captain Birdseye adverts. But nobody follows the story or plays the missions, they just go around gunning people down and stealing cars. Kinda like those Captain Birdseye adverts. After a while, aimlessly wandering around the city and killing innocents can grow tedious, which is why I'm here to tell you how to spice things up again!

Game Number One - Vigilante

Story - Your name is Bullets McDeath, a hard-nosed police detective who took no crap from nobody in his pursuit of justice, and was just three days away from retirement when he saw his rookie partner shot until he was dead. Now you take to the streets as an ordinary civilian, punishing scum all over the city in the only language they understand; the language of bullets!
Who You Can Kill - Anybody who commits a crime, this includes prostitutes, jaywalkers, pimps and the firemen who also sell crack.
What You Do - "The streets of Vice City were sprawled out before me like a mentally handicapped hooker; hot, dirty and covered in drool." Speak out-loud as you play the game, keep up an ongoing monologue of everything you do in a grim and gritty voice. Watch yourself slide down the slippery slope of morality, as your justifications for killing people become weaker and weaker. See how long it takes Bullets McDeath to snap and
kill somebody who didn't even deserve to be beaten to death.

Game Number Two - Betrayed Pimp

The Story - You are former high-flying pimp Gary Numan, but oh no! All your hookers have left you! 'S time to get them bitches back where they belong and put them in their place…SIX FEET UNDER!
Who You Can Kill - Prostitutes (for leaving you) and your rival pimps.
What You Do - "I can't believe 'dem bitches gone took all my bank and left me!" As crazy, loveable, wisecracking pimp Gary Numan, travel the city looking for your lost hookers. Try to convince them to come back to work for you. Remember, women only learn something if you beat it into them. You'd rather these girls died in the gutter than made dead presidents for your competition. And if you see any of the rat-bastards who stole your women, introduce them to your new bitch; Mr. 9mm!

Game Number Three - Baywatch

Story - Hasselhoff was a fag! Who does Vice City trust to safeguard its beaches and water? You, Eddie Stobart, Lifeguard. From your hut you use your keen eyes, expert reflexes and assortment of firearms to keep the beaches safe for everyone to play on. Oh, and by night you're a private detective.
Who You Can Kill - Those committing 'horseplay' in or around the water, criminals who venture onto sand, anyone who doesn't respect the beach, Leonardo DiCaprio.
What You Do - "Put the towel down man, you don't want to do this…not on my beach!" Drive to the beach and protect it. Involves lots of standing still and waiting for action to come to you. Remember, unlike most Lifeguards you can't actually swim and will die the second you enter the water.

Game Number Four - Duel

Story - Just like in the Steven Spielberg movie 'Duel', you play the Mystery Truck Driver who picks on an unsuspecting member of the public to follow, harass and attempt to kill with your truck.
Who You Can Kill - Whoever you have selected to be your victim. They must be driving a car otherwise it's simply not sporting.
What You Do - "You have to help me, some lunatic just tried to run me off the road!" Steal a truck, garbage truck, firetruck or even one of the Vice City buses will do. Pick a car completely at random. Begin a deadly game of cat and mouse with the car as you ram into the back of it, career into the side of it and generally attempt to end their lives. Don't forget to keep on letting the victim think they've escaped, before appearing out of nowhere to turn their car into a fiery, high-speed coffin.

Game Number Five - Sex Pest

The Story - You are Matthew Kelly, a sexual predator the police have foolishly set free. Return to your life of sexually pestering people through a unique combination of stalking, hiding, peeping and attempting to rape them.
Who You Can Kill - Those who spurn your affections and refuse to be raped.
What You Do - Who will be your next sex crime, male or female? The choice is yours! Remember, there are no kids in Vice City so you'll have to curb your actions to those above the legal age. C'mon Rockstar Games, you've gone this far already; how long do we have to wait for GTA: Paedo City?

Well that's it folks, just some of the games you can play to make sure your interest in Vice City never wanes.
Here are some of my rejected game ideas:

Klu Klux Klan
Kill The Hobo
Spousal Abuse
Mall Security Guard
Suicidal Tommy
Clean Up The City (Not In An Exciting Way, In A Literal Way)
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad! I like the writing, though that "Fun Things To Do" link had a little more variety and fun with the physics engine.
SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amusing that all of his ad hoc mini-games are described by "Who You Can Kill".

You can do anything in GTA!
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody link that airplane hit & run from San Andreas?

There we go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: