The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an adventure in little miracles (SEGA CD THREAD)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yes, the game i was thinking of is evidently "supreme warrior", and its combination of high-budget cinematics and impossible play mechanics really needs to be seen to be understood.

also starblade is absolutely amazing.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding Starblade. It is goddamn near arcade perfect, I swear to God. Never mind that the enemies are wireframes and the rockets are sprites -- the rails are identical, and that turns out to be basically all that matters. And those glorious repetitive voice samples! This is team leader. This is team leader. Ahhh.

The Secret of Monkey Island has some nice redbook audio, which I'll be keeping around in MP3 form. It's also kind of slow, both in loading times and just the engine in general. It's really noticible in the animations. As well, for some reason they opted not to save games to the built-in Sega CD save RAM, and instead chose to implement a four-digit passcode system. Huh? Regardless, it's still a nice-looking and gorgeous-sounding Monkey Island on my television, so I can't complain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, keio flying squadron is fabulous.

okay, that's it for now.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs to play Funky Horror Band and let me know what's up with that game.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you play Monkey on anything other than PC?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't legitimately tell me that, say, ScummVM DS doesn't appeal to you.

To be perfectly honest: ever since I first laid eyes on the screenshots for the SegaCD version of MI, I've wanted to see the icons for the inventory items. That's really it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC remake of MI has mouse support + icons, so...still superior.

Although ScummDS hadn't occurred to me. That is badass.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reached "ridge water" in ecco. i'm wondering how long it's going to be before the game becomes too difficult for me to deal with.

keio continues to be fabulous. i one-lifed the first stage! stage three is pretty swell, with the train tunnel, and then the flying pigs and maneki nekos.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i reached "ridge water" in ecco. i'm wondering how long it's going to be before the game becomes too difficult for me to deal with.

It will happen, I promise.

Also, since ApM was having such difficulties with FHB I just bought a copy for $3. I will keep this thread posted!

Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how different is the Sega CD version of Ecco, compared to the MD version? I played the MD version until it became frustrating, and then bothered with the Mega CD version I got free from a friend, thinking it was identical.

I like the SMS version of Ecco the best; it's the only one I could ever complete!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
So how different is the Sega CD version of Ecco, compared to the MD version? I played the MD version until it became frustrating, and then bothered with the Mega CD version I got free from a friend, thinking it was identical.

Much less frustrating

dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i'm up to the ice zone! it looks intimidating.

also the stage three boss of keio is absolutely fantastic.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Island for Sega CD? Fuck, I am SO getting one of these mothers.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get so excited: The Sega CD adaptation of that adventure gaming classic is exceedingly poor.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I would call it exceedingly poor. For example, it doesn't fail nearly as hard (or as interestingly) as Konami's adaptation of King's Quest V to the NES.

It's just quantitatively inferior in nearly all respects to every other version, is all.

Jurassic Park is kind of interesting. I haven't delved too deeply into it yet, but it's essentially Colossal Cave with dinosaurs. And hit points.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor in what respect? I mean, other than the gamepad-cursor issue. I have to admit I often like shitty versions of games I can get in a better format elsewhere. Why else would I have played so much Genesis Mortal Kombat whenever I could, back in the day?

EDIT: My god, the gouging!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned above:
  • Slow. Not just load times; even the animations are choppy. Like, imagine the important-looking pirates only opening their mouth for one frame when they say, "GROG GROG GROG". They lose their Muppet-nature.
  • There's issues with the redbook audio not being nearly as responsive as iMuse. The music not only cut out when starting a conversation with one of the pirates at the SCUMM bar (obviously you have to load the graphics), but again when loading the coversation tree several sentences in.
  • The stupid password system. Seriously, four digits. I don't know exactly what they store in those four digits, but I can tell you it's not all that much. (My passcode was the same before and after I talked with everyone in the SCUMM bar.)
It's essentially ScummVM running on a 286. It's only broken enough to be annoying, not interesting.

That said, if you've never played MI with a Roland sound card, the soundtrack is worth hearing.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, ApM, I obviously wasn't paying attention. I have to admit, "GROG GROG GROG" only makes me want to play the game more! Thanks for the low-down.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ROAD AVENGER is the best fmv game ever made, and i'll tell you why.

1) it's logical. mostly this comes from the fixed perspective and the fact that left always means left and right always means right. your car is knocked to the right! quick, hold left! there's a big truck in front of you! quick, break!

2) it's seamless. there are no confusing jump cuts, except when you fail to turn and crash into a desk in the hotel lobby. the logic of the game controls helps: you watch, and react to what appears on-screen. you don't memorize strings of commands. the fact that the moves are telegraphed by flashing icons makes this easier.

3) it's engaging. it's a first-person car chase death race, hand-animated. that's pretty fantastic. and since the camera stays consistent, you can actually watch rather than struggling to anticipate what the game expects of you.

in short, thank you game creative staff wolf team! and i rarely care for your games, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm up to cold water in ecco. hard water was cruel! i'm kind of afraid of what this stage will be like.

i put (a region-patched) sensible soccer in my sega cd and got the message "this game was designed to be played on european mega drives only". what's up with that? (and does the cart version have the same problem?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm up to cold water in ecco. hard water was cruel! i'm kind of afraid of what this stage will be like.

i put (a region-patched) sensible soccer in my sega cd and got the message "this game was designed to be played on european mega drives only". what's up with that? (and does the cart version have the same problem?)

Patching is not 100% effective for every game.

Also, I've heard, apparently, that some games, possibly, check the Hz speed they are running at,, which goes beyond mere patching the code.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is there a work-around?

does anyone know if the cart version of the game is region-protected too?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ship grave seal!

i am a pretty good dolphin!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gens emulator, and my Euro binary ROM of Sensi Soccer, yes, the Euro PAL version also has region lockout. Sad

Have you played the game before? As far as footy games go, I think it's very over-rated. I judge a football (or Soccer if you're American) game on how well I do in it, without having read the instructions. In Sensi, I've never been able to work which buttons do what, and half the time, I don't feel in control or even know what I'm controlling. The ball flies all over the place, seemingly of it's own accord.

I'd say this is the biggest problem with most Soccer games. You honestly have no idea what's happening, who you're controlling, etc.

Which is why the only game I actually like, is Super Soccer on the SNES.
Faithless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not a standard here, but ...

The Gamer's Quarter
I am a pretty good dolphin.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister szczepaniak, i've been playing sensible soccer via emulation and i like it quite a lot.

ApM is supposedly working on a work-around for the cd game. that guy is out of control.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was yelling technojargon at dess on IM 'til 1am last night, a disassembler in one hand, Gens running its pitiful debugger in the other, and terrible, incomplete Sega CD tech docs in the third. I think tonight I'm going to send off emails to people who know things about the Genesis' region encoding (there's one dude who finds Game Genie codes to crack this shit for cart-based games), because there's like a half-dozen different methods they could be using.

I know where some of the code that fades in the "INTENDED FOR EUROPEAN MEGADRIVES ONLY" screen is, though! 0xFF3332. Isn't that a nice number? I think it's nice. I spent all night finding that number.

I have to wonder if it the region blocking was done to protest the terrible PAL conversions Europeans tended to get.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sea of silence.

...is very eerie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlantis.

pretty exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm wondering how long it's going to be before the game becomes too difficult for me to deal with.

i've never played it on sega cd, but i'm guessing the answer to this question is: city of forever. if you are made of stronger stuff, then maybe the trilobites? actually, neither of those are as hard to deal with if you get most forgiving checkpoints, probably.

damned if i'm not fantastically envious of those of you who can play the sega cd version. i love those games and the redone soundtracks are gorgeous. tides of time, by the way, is not a bad game either, and bridges off nicely as a consequence of your actions in the first game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of ecco 2, here's the collected movies they added to the cd version of the game which tell the backstory from the original ecco.

watching this makes me sort of skeptical of the cd version, and i'm wondering if it would be better just to emulate the mega drive/genny version of the game.

either way, i'm planning on trying ecco the tides of time after i get frustrated with ecco and give up. which could be soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ecco games don't exactly need cutscenes. the pc version seems more guilty of using cutscenes just for the sake of having them, though. i like how they wrote "ATLANTIS" on the gate to the city, as if being told you're going to atlantis, and the level being named atlantis, and roman-looking undersea ruins in general weren't enough to get the point across.

man, i sure miss when games actually made you do all the plot-relevant things instead of showing you a little movie about how you did them.

tides of time only has one level that i remember as controller-tossing difficult, so it might be a good alternative if the first game is just getting on your nerves. as it tends to do.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep city.

the library was an ordeal. and those dolphin documentaries they added to the cd version really jar with the melancholy of the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pteranodon pond.

i am in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try something wierd, try Kids on Site. It's an FMV game for little kids, where you control a Steamroller, excavator, bulldozer, and a wrecking ball. It has some funny parts though, like when you hit a portapot with the wrecking ball. If you press the action button at the right time, you can make whatever action you did go in reverse too.

I also liked Double Switch, which is alot like Night Trap, without the song and half naked girls, but still pretty fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
pteranodon pond.

i am in the past.

You know what your updates need? Screengrabs that sap imageshack's bandwidth. Otherwise I'm enjoying the adventure. Keep going until the end!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORE FOTOS PLZ
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i just reached trilobite circle!

uh oh!

i should mention i triggered the secret message at origin beach, and it was quite nifty!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well well well.

the asterite's orb restored, i am now back at city of forever, on my way to the final confrontation.

admittedly, i looked at a faq to see what i had to do with the asterite. i get kind of intimidated when something can kill me in a few seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecco really is a crushingly lonely game. It's not just the theme either, but the gameplay itself. How many games can you list that feature suffocation as a constant threat? I've only actually played the first game and never very far, only to the third or fourth level, but I think it's wonderful. Scary, but wonderful.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really couldn't bear to do city of forever again, so i checked the faq again to see if there was a shortcut. there was! i probably could have found it on my own, but i'd completed the first (and most difficult) jump in that stupidly hard sequence at the beginning and didn't want to have to redo it if i found nothing.

but yeah, the tube is obscene. i'll try it again later, but if i can't clear it i'm moving on to ecco 2.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, you are officially futher than I ever got... I THINK.

Also, I received Funky Horror Band. It is ... an RPG about a band. I think you fight random wierd battles in space then fight 80's punk rockers on stage! At least that is the impression I am given. It may take slightly more time to get this ripped and online.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dess, you are officially futher than I ever got... I THINK.

the way you described it on the phone made it seem like you got up to the tube at least - i thought you were up to the stage after that, though i havn't been there yet.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the way you described it on the phone made it seem like you got up to the tube at least - i thought you were up to the stage after that, though i havn't been there yet.

Yea, it was right around there. I can't remember the exact wording for the areas or what not, but I recall everything you have done so far.

sharc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you left off on "welcome to the machine." that's about as soul-breakingly difficult as the game gets. still, it's all memorizing the right route and reflexively dealing with the enemies and those little shots that come at you - if you can handle cave shooters, maybe you should give it another shot sometime, shaper. i mean, it's so close to the end and the last level isn't nearly as hard!

good luck dolphining your way through it, dessgeega. if you got this far, and took the hard route through city of forever without punting the console through a window, you can finish it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the tube is stupidly hard, and i feel like i've demonstrated my resilience adequately.

if there are no objects, i'm going to move on to tides of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead, I never made it that far on Ecco, and I don't think I ever made it half way through Tides of Time. I should really replay them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started playing ecco 2, the cartridge version. i got up to the annoying auto-scrolling water bridge in the sky, but it was too annoying for me.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zidek wrote:
I should really replay them.

If you have really awesome memories of the games I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't really have any memories I would go back and play them, but don't go further than your frustration allows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: