The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent Hill: The Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fast and the Furious 3: GAMER'S QUARTER MOVIE OF THE YEAR?

i think so!

LJ -- Profile
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:

i think so!

For shame Mr.Apol. For shame. Although in this context, it is slightly amusing. It better have some wicked one liners that include strange use of the Japanese language.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
The worst part about the whole thing was the trailer for The Fast and The Furious 3... Pretty much every anime-obsessed junior high student will see this movie over and over again...

Given your handle, this statement is sort of funny!

I've totally been waiting for somebody to say something about that so I could explain my handle.

I watch anime and all, but I dislike that whole mentallity that goes along with it. I'm also really into punk rock, but I don't act or dress like it. I threw the X in just for ridiculousness. Therefore, OtakupunkX.

TheRumblefish wrote:
It better have some wicked one liners that include strange use of the Japanese language.

From what I gathered from the trailer the Japanese people will be speaking in some kind of crazy mix of Japanese and English. It will be like every meeting of every anime club I've ever been to, only the Japanese will (hopefully) be used and pronounced correctly.

Perhaps some theaters will have a double feature of this and Snakes on a Plane, although Snakes on a Plane will be so much better than The Fast and The Furious 3.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:

i think so!

Yeah, it looks like a horrible movie, but I can certainly appreciate the "woo hoo Japan!" culture a lot more than whatever bad-boy culture they were trying to appeal to in the other two movies. It's a real life movie that's all about power slides! It's the perfect video game movie! Actually, I'd love to be the one in charge of making the video game adaptation. I'd put the camera close behind during straightaways and focus on bumping into cars and overtaking then move the camera up and back whenever there was a corner to focus on making the perfect slide. It would be awesome!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked Silent Hill. I haven't played the games, but I've read about the plots, and while I think the way they changed Dahlia and the cult and stuff made for a worse story (I can't be the only person who though Rose was being a dick in helping all that shit go down at the end of the film?), it generally seemed pretty good. It seemed to capture a lot of the general themes of the games, and stuff.

Although, not having played them through, that might be a gross exaggeration.

But, for example, I liked how the boundries between monsters and people blurred over time. To start with, the guys in mining suits seem like more of the town's crazy monsters - a bit like those contorted people wearing gas masks during the baby scene - but then you find out they're just the other survivors, and you're all "Oh!". And then they start burning people and you're all "No, wait... I was pretty much right first time!"

The big where the girl goes over the film so far and recaps everything was awful. It was like they thought we might have taken a week-long break during the film or something... PREVIOUSLY, ON SILENT HILL!... but if they're going to explain everything in excruciating detail, they could at least make some sense of Pyramid Head and the black vomit things. Especially the bit where Dahlia seems to summon PH to kill that girl. I kinda got the impression that he was supposed to be like the father figure that Alyssa never had but, you know, there's not really much to go off.

I dunno. Not the best film in the world, but it seemed to capture the feel of the game a lot better than countless other game adaptations. It was only really after the nurses that it started to really fall apart.

Oh, and the nurses totally reminded me of Space Channel 5, which was hilarious.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
It better have some wicked one liners that include strange use of the Japanese language.

From what I gathered from the trailer the Japanese people will be speaking in some kind of crazy mix of Japanese and English. It will be like every meeting of every anime club I've ever been to, only the Japanese will (hopefully) be used and pronounced correctly.

Perhaps some theaters will have a double feature of this and Snakes on a Plane, although Snakes on a Plane will be so much better than The Fast and The Furious 3.[/quote]

Snakes on a Plane will pretty much be the paramount of modern film. At least if Samuel busts out "Get these MtherFucking Snakes off my MotherFucking plane!" Anime Clubs you say? Eww, I remember some of those from High School. They were very, stupid. No offense to you man, I like Anime and all, just the thought of clubs brings back some bad memories.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
Snakes on a Plane will pretty much be the paramount of modern film. At least if Samuel busts out "Get these MtherFucking Snakes off my MotherFucking plane!" Anime Clubs you say? Eww, I remember some of those from High School. They were very, stupid. No offense to you man, I like Anime and all, just the thought of clubs brings back some bad memories.

Apparently the studio refilmed scenes of the movie to add that one line in as well as extra snake violence. (speaking of SoaP - extended SoaP metaphor in The American Spectator)

As for the Anime Club thing, I got thrust into being the president of our school's club for reasons I don't remember. I hardly ever get to go, mainly because I have a job now. I end up sitting in the back playing on Photoshop (we meet in a computer lab) the whole meeting most of the time. As I've said before, I'm not a fan of the traditional "Otaku" attitude.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otakupunk wrote:
As I've said before, I'm not a fan of the traditional "Otaku" attitude.

The authentic Japanese meaning of otaku, or the horrible American corruption of the word?

Or do you just hate my house for some strange reason?
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Otakupunk wrote:

Aww man, who would hate someone's house? I can't bring myself to go spend money to go see SIlent Hill. I suppose I will have to force myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Otakupunk wrote:

The authentic Japanese meaning of otaku, or the horrible American corruption of the word?

I does indeed hate your house. Cardboard boxes in dark alleyways for the win. Wink

I really dislike the American version of the word, and being lumped in with those kind of people just because I happen to watch anime (not even on a regular basis) makes me angry.

TheRumblefish wrote:
I can't bring myself to go spend money to go see SIlent Hill. I suppose I will have to force myself.

I spent $20 the night I saw Silent Hill. I paid for my ticket as well as my dad's and my best friend's plus my dad's snacks that I ended up eating. It's really not that bad of a movie. Just don't wait for it to come out on DVD because I have a feeling it's going to be one of those movies that just doesn't work as well at home (i.e. Land of the Dead).
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:

I does indeed hate your house. Cardboard boxes in dark alleyways for the win. Wink

I really dislike the American version of the word, and being lumped in with those kind of people just because I happen to watch anime (not even on a regular basis) makes me angry.

I figured that was the definition you were referring to, I just wasn't sure. It's even worse when you let on that you're learning Japanese and people just assume you're part of the whole 'American otaku' thing. Ugh.

As far as the movie, I still want to see it, yet am still too broke. I heard a pretty horrific thing today--someone mentioned the nurses in the film as being very similar to the zombies in Michael Jackson's Thriller music video. Not that Thriller isn't completely awesome (it is!), it's just not the sort of thing I'd want to see in a true horror film. Especially considering purplechair's comment on the likeness to Space Channel 5, I'm a little worried that the scene referred to could be more than a little campy.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
As far as the movie, I still want to see it, yet am still too broke. I heard a pretty horrific thing today--someone mentioned the nurses in the film as being very similar to the zombies in Michael Jackson's Thriller music video. Not that Thriller isn't completely awesome (it is!), it's just not the sort of thing I'd want to see in a true horror film. Especially considering purplechair's comment on the likeness to Space Channel 5, I'm a little worried that the scene referred to could be more than a little campy.

Personally, I thought the nurse monsters were interesting. They didn't use CG on them at all, so they fit into the movie better than some of the other monsters.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some awesome pictures from the SH movie opening in Japan. Edit: This is actually from the early screening. It opens on July 8th.

Yay... a. sequel.

Quote:
Yamaoka said, "I want to expect it of the sequel of the movie".

TRANSLATION MADNESS! Something about the potential for a sequel on a next gen system.

Quote:
I asked Mr. Yamaoka for the production of the game in the next generation machine age at the end. The Horror game in PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 age is places in which it asked how to think the change. 「There is a feature like the network and online, etc. if it is a controller it, PS3, and Xbox 360 in case of Wii even if it is called the next generation machine. How about Horror ..'.. usually in the next generation machine?Ask..online..end.However, I am not then that much, experience the story by the player, and have the presentiment into which the frame of the game that has not been changing up to now at all since the worth family computer age is changed. Might what it said that make something done by its handling the controller of Wii, and think by me that do not want to make it by it of the Horror game because of the conception that want to do to be a new game though might the one it be expressible by the use of the quality of PS3.

~

最後に山岡氏に次世代機時代におけるゲームの制作について伺ってみた。プレイステーション 3やXbox 360時代におけるホラーゲームはどう変わっていくと考えているのか伺ったところ「次世代機と言っても、Wiiであればコントローラ、PS3やXbox 360であればネットワークやオンラインといった特徴がありますよね。普通に『次世代機でホラーってどうですか?』と問われれば『オンラインじゃないですか』で終わってしまうかもしれない。でも、僕はそれだけじゃなく、プレーヤーがストーリーを体感したりといったファミコン時代からこれまでまったく変わっていないゲームの枠を変えられる予感がありますね。それが、Wiiのコントローラを使って何かさせると言ったことかもしれないし、PS3のクオリティをつかって表現できるものかもしれないけれど、新しいゲームにしたいという発想でホラーゲームを作りたいなと思いますね」と語ってくれた。

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"

Last edited by Shapermc on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity, just how unemployed is japan these days? cause the country seems to have a lot of time on its hands.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're probably all just having a cigarette break.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
stuff

Okay, I'm totally in love with the third nurse from the right, the one with the long black hair.

Also from that quote, does it seem like he's basically saying "it would be cool to make the sequel for the wii but I'd rather make it for the PS3 because of GRAPHIX" right?

Fucking shit, if Silent Hill 5 is a PS3 exclusive I'll HAVE to buy one.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have just commited a form of sexual assault on my monitor. Sorry.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to do a running tackle into all of them.

LJ -- Profile
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's why they've got pyramid head front and center.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Okay, I'm totally in love with the third nurse from the right, the one with the long black hair.

I don't know, the woman standing next to P. Head wearing the black shoes and who doesn't have anything covering her face is pretty damn cute.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
I just want to do a running tackle into all of them.

Pants ON / OFF?
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are pretty half-assed nurse costumes, if you ask me.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's just how nurses dress in Japan.

I mean, look at this:
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP Silent Hill PS2 complete box.

Man, I kind of want this.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: