The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I go to the Tokyo Game Show This Year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Should I go to the Tokyo Game Show This Year? Reply with quote

Has anybody been there before? I've been reading that TGS has gone down hill lately as most companies wait until E3 to release any information, but then again I am in Japan! It takes place in September right? And somebody told me it's actually open to the public! That's totally crazy. Is anybody from TGQ planning on going to it this year? If so I wouldn't mind saying hello (and help you around Tokyo if you need it).
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! You absolutely should go. If you do, bring a good digital camera and take tons of pictures of Japanese cosplayers and TGQ can maybe use them as a photo article.

Sadly, the show itself doesn't have a lot of cool stuff to see. The lines are too terrible to really play anything and most of the good schwag costs $. That said, bring a bunch of money and you can buy some really cool shit. It's an odd show, but totally worth going to just to say you went.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking I could buy lots of peace offerings for all the people I've offended here on TGQ, and my Digital Camera is decent. I'll take a bunch of pretty much everywhere and everything and let you pick which ones you like. When's the exact date and time, and do I have to buy tickets early?
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully plan on going. I should be spending around a week in Tokyo before the show. It should be fun. We can get drunk.

LJ -- Profile
*christina*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just ended up buying a lot of Final Fantasy plushies and anime crap for my family. I don't remember actually playing any games. The cosplayers were definately the main event. On the train ride out there you go right by Tokyo Disney. I felt my heart break as we sped by it.

On our same trip to Tokyo we went to the Ghibli museum and you should definately hit that up.

I miss the fireflies in Japan. Sad We have them here but I remember in Kagoshima going to this remote stream and watching them swarm on the other side of the water. It was very Ferngully-tastic.

~Christina
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Schwenky:

http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/english/

Google is your friend.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we like... get him in as a member of the press or something? Or something? I don't know. I mean if he is going to cover something for TGQ we should at least attempt it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We probably can, but the problem is that if you go on Press-only days you totally miss out on the Cosplayers, which is BY FAR the best part of the show.

Here's my writeup from a few years ago.

I guess it's up to him.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys would like me to take some pictures, interview some people (I might go with my friend Jun from Indiana University, he could be my "official" translator" haha.

Just set me up with a scavenger hunt and tell me what pictures you want me to take, what questions you want me to ask, and what things you want me to buy. I'd be more than happy to help out, and I'd love to meet up with Mr. Apol . . . given he doesn't seem I'm a prick in real life Razz.

And if there's anything you want me to check out or get you in Akihabara, I can do that too. So please start brainstorming!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: