The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Society for Non-Traditional RPGs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Society for Non-Traditional RPGs Reply with quote

The other night, Shaper and I were talking over Google’s nifty chat program, and somehow the conversation turned to just how awesome and completely different Namco's underappreciated Tales series is. We were both in agreement that they were RPGs of a most bizarre yet engaging nature, when I made the mistake of suggesting that someone should start a 'Society for Non-Traditional RPGs'. Shaper, always looking for an opening or a show of weakness, commanded me to create a topic on it, and so here we list and recognize games that strive to break out of the mold (and mould) of role-playing conformity.

Shaper elaborates on the qualities inherent in Non-Traditional RPGs:
ShaperMC wrote:
I have played many, many, tabletop role-playing games. They have random encounters, you are forced to rely on the storyteller/dungeon master to show you what is going on, and you battle--not with action--but through numbers and random elements (dice) that represent "real" things.
This turned into what is commonly referred to as the "JRPG." They stole it from the US (Dragon Quest) and then perfected it over time. But rarely did it evolve. You are entrenched in the fact that you can't interact with your opponent directly. The Tales series removes this barrier and brings it closer to being a videogame and further from being a display of abstracted representation.
When you do a QCF+P in Street Fighter you are doing what "2d6 attack with fist magic" might do in D&D, but since you no longer need the abstraction to represent the world in which you are interacting, it is no longer a "RPG" even though you are playing a role. Games like Tales allow you to keep the nice little state management and number whoring that is somewhat attractive, the expansive world, and the dungeons to crawl through, while also breaking down one of the many walls that is build up between the P&P game of table tops and the Visual representation of such through a videogame on a television screen: Actually kicking something’s ass using those stats instead of letting some pre-scripted event happen. Instead of a starting point, it became a sticking point and somewhere along the road it went from being an abstraction to being the ... I don't know, formula. But outside of a few examples (DQ8 should be noted as one) the formula has not evolved, it has just gotten prettier. This is also a major problem with The Legend of Zelda" series, and why Shadow of the Colossus is where so many people imagined TLoZ going over the years.

Here are some excerpts of our conversation regarding Seiken Densetsu/Secret Of Mana as a a viable candidate.
Shaper wrote:
The problem is that world is so drowned out in FF/DQ inspired menus/battle systems that people fail to understand that statisics/levels/numbers attached to characters and items does not equal RPG stuff.
Symphony of the Night really doesn’t have "RPG Elements" in it, and I am sick of hearing that from people.
They are "progression elements" that are the natural evolution of the long form game; their origin is not the essence of the "element."

greatsaintlouis wrote:
Symphony Of The Night--and all of the later 2D installments--come from a strictly non-RPG pedigree, and thus it's pretty ridiculous as you said to claim they have RPG elements. But the Seiken Densetsu series not only was spawned from the loins that brought Final Fantasy, but it keeps with a lot of the RPG conventions too--parties of multiple characters, sweeping quest to save the world, etc. SotN was, at its heart, another quest to kill Dracula, only you could get stronger and use different weapons.

So, we're basically looking for role-playing games that don't quite follow the traditional Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy molds, but rather find some new way to remove layers of abstraction between the player and the statistically-driven backbone of all RPG games.

Aside from the aforementioned Tales series and Seiken Densetsu, I suggested Parasite Eve and Shaper mentioned Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. We were divided on Riviera: The Promised Land, which is arguable both ways. What other games could be billed as non-traditional RPGs within these criteria?
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking down what is and isn't an RPG by using "gameplay" terms is kind of silly. The real heart of an RPG is making decisions in the role of another character. It's pretty much how little you're supposed to be yourself. Games like Tales rely on your ability to "keep your cool" when you are supposed to do a QCF. It's a test of your own skill as opposed to a "check" (hey, P&P RPG term in the house) against your character's skill.

So!

Old school Madden is a very RPG kind of non-RPG. New school Madden is trying to be less and less so. This can be applied to EA Sports in general, actually.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was not to look for games that mimic RPGs or have 'RPG elements'--see Shaper's mention of Symphony of the Night for the reasoning therein--but to consider games of the RPG genre that really do away with the degree of seperation from the action imposed on the player by the stat and menu systems in most games.
The real heart of an RPG is indeed making decisions in the role of another character, but the same could be said for all videogame genres. You take the role of Mario, Pac-Man, Simon Belmont, the Master Chief, etc. Playing a role is not the sole defining factor for a RPG title, and in this case Shaper clearly defined 'RPGs' as games having sprung from a tabletop gaming background. But even still, the only role you play in Madden is that of the omnipotent manager remotely controlling a group of statistics with names attached, rather than concrete characters or even a party composed thereof. Madden is much more of a general simulation than it will ever be an RPG, and in fact it is almost the complete opposite of what we wanted in this thread: despite being able to control individual team members on the field, the player is actually further removed from the game when you consider that they are really controlling a team as a whole, trading and swapping team members--and their attached statistics--in order to build the best team possible.

Besides, Madden was never intended to be a RPG, so that disqualifies it right there.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear in the gba tales game you can dress up as mister driller or gil from druaga.

also, the first seiken densetsu, on the gameboy, was the best in the series.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one with the oasis puzzle, right? Loved the game, but that was beyond a pain in the ass.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time figuring out what exactly is an RPG and what isn't, because as it's been said before, one could argue that all videogames are RPGs. Japanese RPGs and Western RPGs (such as Oblivion) are just literal translations of table-top games and are thus more readily recognizable as such, which is why of course they get labeled this way.

Allow me to ramble, in hopes that I come across a point or two:

I was playing a new quest of Final Fantasy VII last night, and I was enjoying myself immensely (random battles notwithstanding). I was wondering why this was, considering I do harbour a certain loathing for the majority of RPGs; I think it's the setting (of disc one at least). Regardless, among other things, I think it also has something to do with the fact that in the game I as the player have to navigate everything; not just battles, but transitions between scenes, conversations, etc.

I realized I was having a really good time because when somebody speaks, I have to hit Circle to coerce them to continue. If there's a choice in dialogue, I make that choice. In many instances, I choose who goes with me and I always control who does what within a battle. In FFVII, I am actively involved in the game on all levels. I may not alter the plot much, except for a few small moments, but it can't play without me and no one can finish their sentence if I don't hit that Circle button.

I don't know how to describe what I'm thinking, so pardon me for a moment: these older RPGs (like FFVII) feel like interactive books combined with radio plays combined with puppet shows. You've got non-speaking characters who act as visual marionettes to clue you in to their emotions; you've got musical scores and minimal sound effects to keep you in the right mood; and you've got conversation that can't continue unless you actively choose to let it.

("The story's so cute," my wife exclaimed during one of the early scenes between Aeris and Punto (née Cloud). She was basing this entirely on the music she heard. It was the mood she was feeling, nothing more.)

All these things combined can sort of absorb you as a player because, like table-top games, they are all abstractions. You have to use your imagination for a lot of things — voices, (until FFX ruined it!), facial expressions, etc. — and because of this extra effort required, you can potentially get more out of the game. Just like darkness and obscurity make Silent Hill scarier and more real to the player's imagination, the limitations of older JRPGs allow you to put more of yourself into each character and setting, and thus get more out of them.

But the point is that the same happens in table-top RPGs, of course; nothing exists except in the words and thoughts of yourself and the friends playing with you, which is why it can be very exciting and memorable.

(It's like mass hysteria!)

Another point of RPGs is, of course, statistical progression. They probably don't even need numbers anymore (a point I've mentioned before), but the thrill of an RPG is knowing that you will not be exactly the same character at the end of the game as when you started. You will have progressed through yet more abstraction — more HP, more spells, more powerful attacks — and you can really feel this.

But I would argue that in a lot of these older JRPGS, which, as I've said, allow more interactivity through the coaxing of one's imagination, also allow emotional progression. Because you're constantly a part of every bit of this abstracted world, you start to pour your own feelings into the game, voluntarily or subconsciously. Whether we're talking about getting teary-eyed over Aeris or, in my case, growing to really like Yuffie because her character was so hopelessly incorrigible, I would argue that this sort of increased interaction — which can't be bullet-pointed on the back of a jewel case — is what also defines an RPG.

Again, it is no different when table-topping, except that here the effort required to overcome the myriad abstractions is more extreme.

I dunno. Am I making any sense?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of what you're saying, but I take issue with this--

Quote:

All these things combined can sort of absorb you as a player because, like table-top games, they are all abstractions. You have to use your imagination for a lot of things — voices, (until FFX ruined it!), facial expressions, etc. — and because of this extra effort required, you can potentially get more out of the game.

I don't consider hardwarel limitations as positive points because they force us to fill in certain gaps. While there is too much of an emphasis placed on 'pretty' graphics, while, I still think "better" potential for graphics is desirable on the whole. It's the environment you play in, it is the aesthetic appeal. Having to imagine facial expressions is a weak point since they even do it sometimes in the game itself (in the inconsistent FMV sequences...big, chibi, big...). Same with voices. While these qualities do give the game a certain charm, they're not justification for it as an RPG. Think of Deus Ex--this is what developers had always wanted to make RPGs look and feel like, except they resorted to linear systems because of (ba ba ba BAA) hardware limitations.

I agree with the point on evolution of the character. In some capacity, the character(s) must go through a metamorphosis due to his grand advetnure and revelations. Maybe this is why those generic RPGs feel...well, so hackenyed. They have the battles, the items, the monsters...but it all feels so detached. Why? Because the characters aren't learning anything--they're not even doing anything. They're just changing the backdrop, the costumes, the props. Whereas with a good RPG you feel that change and you feel that it is worth it.

So let me ask for clarification: it has to be in some way the evolutionary descendent of tabletops? So I couldn't propose Deus Ex?
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perplexed on weather or not Suikoden would fall under this. In truth, it doesn't matter what characters you use in your party, as eseentially they are all the same. The stats can differ, but do the stats even matter? The Suikoden games aren't known for being extra-ordinarily hard or anything. So out of these 108 characters you're eseentially just choosing the ones you like and prefer. There are no rights and wrongs to follow, no improper way to play the game.

You could do the whole "catch em all" thing, but it's not required. Nothing really is in the first two games, except a few events to progress the story. So in a way, would Suikoden be considered a "non traditional RPG" since there are no ultimate characters or ultimate weapons?

There is a certain level of emotional progression as Lestrade said in Sukioden as well. It also depends which game you are playing, but none the less. Take for instance Suikoden 2 has a few moments which are quite sad and further involve the player. All of the deaths felt essential in a way. When Luca Blight dies, you do feel something for the monster he was, the game has a very good way of drawing the player in to a world that feels like it is a living entity in it's own. Almost as if you are on the outside looking in, until key events draw you in as the role of the main character.

I don't know, I just always felt that Suikoden might fall into this category.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
I'm perplexed on weather or not Suikoden would fall under this.

The sticking point is how you interact with the world/enviromen/combat for Suikoden. You didn't really cover that in your explination.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
TheRumblefish wrote:
I'm perplexed on weather or not Suikoden would fall under this.

The sticking point is how you interact with the world/enviromen/combat for Suikoden. You didn't really cover that in your explination.

Well, the interaction within the world is quite breathtaking at times. You're hardly limited by boundries on the world map, and every town has it's own unique style that seperates it from the others. Also, the interaction between your main character and every other NPC is also very unique at times, but suffers from the same repetitive syndrome of dialogue at other points. You can talk to cats, you can to talk to dogs, you can inspect and sometimes feel the world around you. There is a great attention to detail that is sometimes left out of other RPGs.

Every town feels just as important as the last, and they also have their own sorted emotions that go with the town. The town that is suffering through poverty is depressing in it;s own right, the town that prospers e.t.c. The games interaction revovles around manipulating your own feelings. It might be better scripting, or better scenario creation, but the interactivity within the game world is rather personal at times. Yet sometimes it isn't. It's really hard to say.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still just sounds like good standard fare RPG systems.

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
That still just sounds like good standard fare RPG systems.

I suppose so. I mean unless someone else can think of any other reasons that would allow Suikoden to qualify for this, I'm out. Anyways, good analysis of Tales Of.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Society for Non-Traditional RPGs Reply with quote

greatsaintlouis wrote:
Symphony Of The Night--and all of the later 2D installments--come from a strictly non-RPG pedigree, and thus it's pretty ridiculous as you said to claim they have RPG elements.

Interesting! I think it's rediculous to claim that Symphony of the Night does NOT have RPG elements. RPGs traditionally contain the element of the player gaining tangible experience by defeating enemies, which in turn translates into enabling your player to take on stronger foes. There you go. RPG elements. It's true that SOTN and its bretheren are not RPGs, but to claim they don't have RPG elements is to forget the very elements that RPGs consist of.

If you think about it this entire conversation in and of itself, it's kind of rediculous. When someone sets out to create a game do they think, "ok, I'm going to make an RPG. It's going to have random battles, an experience system, and take its basic story outline from such and such game." Maybe they do and maybe they don't, but I'd like to think that they consider how they're going to keep the player engaged and how their game is going to play out, then they fill in any gaps using existing gameplay elements. Sometimes they'll pick and choose elements from existing games and sometimes they'll invent their own solution, but I'd like to think that games being created under the strict intention of adhering to genre templates is the exception rather than the norm.

The question we need to ask ourselves is how far the concept of "genre" extends to game design, and how far is really acceptable. Any thoughts?

I'd also like to point out what a marketing genius Shinji Mikami was when he dubbed "Resident Evil" with the genre name of "Survival Horror." What's most significant about this genre name is that it primarily refers to the emotion that the player is supposed to feel when they play the game rather than the method of interface or the actions that are performed. If he hadn't dubbed Resident Evil with the genre name "survival horror" it probably would have been labeled an "Action Adventure" game, and may not have had quite the impact that it did. What would happen if we labeled every game by its elicited emotions rather than its form? Would RPGs become "Menu Selection Tedium" games?

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
I don't consider hardwarel limitations as positive points because they force us to fill in certain gaps.

That was my point! So I'm saying this is a good thing, and you're saying this is a bad thing.

For what it's worth, I love pre-rendered backgrounds because staring at tiles of grass and/or brick since 1986 was getting really hard to deal with. So in this case, extra horsepower — to me, at least — improved the situation.

But I find something relentlessly charming from this particular brand of RPG for the reasons I stated above. In that case, I really think the hardware limitations were worked around well.

But yeah, personal preference.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my point though--I recognise your personal preference, but this ostensible "trait" of RPGs is merely a byproduct of hardware limitations, not a basic tenet of the genre. This is why modern RPGs are hard to "recognise," and aren't as easily "accepted" by RPG-enthusiasts; they have evolved beyond their traditional linearity, and this threatens people who grew up on that.

It's another reason why traditional designs for levelling up and RPGs in general are really skeumorphs--even though we've evolved beyond having to make everything at its core a dice-based system, we are still trying to use what we "know." But since it is hackneyed, the generic games feel like they have pastel game mechanics.

I'll also say that I agree that SotN has RPG "elements." But let's not get into the genre debate. I believe genres are extremely important not only as points of reference, but as tools to obseve the entertainment which surrounds us, and how they bleed into each other. Really, a fascinating process. But when you deify a genre, you have crossed the line--this goes to say with anything, really. You are no longer looking at a game for its merits as a game in this genre, you are looking at it as a direct affirmation or denial of "your" genre.

The sticky part is when you start saying a game "IS" this or that. The absolutist nature of our language (when we are often simply trying to make casual statements) causes unnecessary strife once again!

Last edited by Lockeownzj00 on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think everyone in this thread should play ultima runes of virtue II. it's really more of an action-adventure than an "rpg" (whatever that term has been bastardized by videogames to come to mean nowadays), but it's charming and intentive and minimalist and satisfying. i think it'd do y'all a world of good.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Society for Non-Traditional RPGs Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
greatsaintlouis wrote:
Symphony Of The Night--and all of the later 2D installments--come from a strictly non-RPG pedigree, and thus it's pretty ridiculous as you said to claim they have RPG elements.

Interesting! I think it's rediculous to claim that Symphony of the Night does NOT have RPG elements. RPGs traditionally contain the element of the player gaining tangible experience by defeating enemies, which in turn translates into enabling your player to take on stronger foes. There you go. RPG elements. It's true that SOTN and its bretheren are not RPGs, but to claim they don't have RPG elements is to forget the very elements that RPGs consist of.

I will requote myself:
Quote:
Symphony of the Night really doesn’t have "RPG Elements" in it, and I am sick of hearing that from people.
They are "progression elements" that are the natural evolution of the long form game; their origin is not the essence of the "element."

What you are confusing is who used the element first, and what is the reason that it is there for in the first place. The levels and experience is all there to represent the real progress that humans make as the go along. If you lift weights every day you will natually bulk up and become stronger. These "RPG elements" are abstactions and visual representations of something that happens in your day to day life natually.

Just because Ultima/FF/DQ was the first to use them does not mean they are RPG elements. The JRPG is a strict structure at this point, and is no longer even a proper definition (role playing game) of what it really is entirely.

ANYWAYSSSSSSS

What are some other "RPGs" that break the traditional formula exceptionally?

Again Tales of Phantasia takes the Standard RPG pace and structure and then gives you the freedom to control your character in combat. This breaks down the wall that was put up previously by Pen and Paper games that would not allow you to actually control the combat, but use paper and dice to represent it.

Steambot Chronicles does a very similar thing, but it is more an adventure game than an RPG.

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think everyone in this thread should play ultima runes of virtue II. it's really more of an action-adventure than an "rpg" (whatever that term has been bastardized by videogames to come to mean nowadays), but it's charming and intentive and minimalist and satisfying. i think it'd do y'all a world of good.

Dessgeega earned a new title! "Voice of Reason" acquired!

Seriosuly though, I've never played it. But I'll take your word on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

no. NO! blatantly wrong. It was a fantastic prototype given limited hardware, but the spirit of SD didn't arrive till the second.[/brief aside]

Anyway, I'm not quite sure how DQ8 has "evolved" the formula.

How about random dungeoners though? Do the Dark Clouds count for something (even if they're no good)? How about Shiren? BoF: Dragon Quarter? Mario Golf Advance?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

no. NO! blatantly wrong. It was a fantastic prototype given limited hardware, but the spirit of SD didn't arrive till the second.[/brief aside]

that's why it's better. the spirit is incorrect. it goes toward legend of mana, which is a terrible game, but an amibitious art project. seiken densetsu gb has the spirit of zelda, which allows it to be a good game, rather than a squaresoft rpg with psuedo-realtime combat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Society for Non-Traditional RPGs Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
What are some other "RPGs" that break the traditional formula exceptionally?

As I mentioned last night, I think Parasite Eve did an excellent job of breaking free of the traditional JRPG mold--but at the same time, it was actually a bit of a throwback to the tabletop games that inspired them. The battle scenes especially break free from the usual "Stand in a row and use menu commands" that we're all used to (tired of), but yet you are still given a set amount of time to move your character and select a course of action. This adds much more of a strategic angle to battles, as you are able to retreat from the fray to reload a weapon or use an item, or to move closer in advance of a particularly devastating assult on your next turn.
The battle system struck me, however, as being very similar to a battle in, say, Dungeons and Dragons, where the player can only move so much per turn, as well as only accomplish so many actions. So, is it a non-traditional RPG by virtue of being more closely related to the tabletop games which the 'traditional' RPG is based upon?

simplicio wrote:
How about Shiren?

I'm not sure you could really count the Shiren games as non-traditional. Despite their graphical facelift, they're still pretty much the same Roguelikes that proliferated back in the 1980's, titles which were also heavily influenced by pen-and-paper RPGs.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret of Mana is a storybook, and the perfection of the series. That the later games went the wrong way with its key ideas is no fault of its own.

Seriously. Go back to the Moon Palace, or those Thanatos Temples, or the Mana Holy Land, or Matango, or just about anywhere. There's really no connection to the banality and bathos of the FFs there; it's all about new worlds and magic. The others (3 [and Evermore] through Children) falter through a combination of forcing too much of a disconnect between the different lands and from taking a more "serious" post-Chrono Trigger/FFVI tone. Think about how Sword of Mana is so much closer in spirit to 3 & 4 (and not just the remade bits and damncactus, but the integrated original story and world as a whole as well) than 2.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Society for Non-Traditional RPGs Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I could write more about your original response, but what's the point when I'm utterly lost as to what you're even trying to say in the first place. I really just need a better explanation of what the above quote means. What the hell is an RPG if statistic based combat isn't even considered an element? By greatsaintlouis's requirements "parties of multiple characters, sweeping quest to save the world" Full Spectrum Warrior is an RPG, and that's certainly not true.

Show me an RPG that does not contain "progression elements." And by this same token does an RPG that allows your character to jump not contain "platforming elements?"

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Anyway, I'm not quite sure how DQ8 has "evolved" the formula.

While still holding on the all the exact same staples of the first game (from the level progression to the manner in which combat is handled) it gives you a fully realised overworld. It is still very much an RPG and very attached to its table top fathers, but though the use of video and interaction it allows to to fully explore a realised world. 24 pixels no longer represent a tree, a tree represents a tree. The line between the battle field and the overworld is more blurred, and the world map/overworld/towns difference dosen't exist: they are all on the same scale.

SuperWes wrote:
Show me an RPG that does not contain "progression elements." And by this same token does an RPG that allows your character to jump not contain "platforming elements?"

RPGs do contain progression elements. That is what they are based off of. Also, Mario & Luigi has platforming elemnts while still entrenched in the RPG genrea. It breaks away by allowing the player to interact with the combat and by adding the platforming elements (and at points even emphasising them). Basically they are taking steps to remove themselves from the abstractions of combat and interaction with the world.

As I said, almost every game is a "role playing game" but this is about games that are in the RPG genrea, which no longer even means that it is a "role playing game" but more a game that just can't break all its ties from it table top fathers.

And yes, TGS' initall definition is... well... too loose. It needs refinement.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I'm understanding correctly, the "progression" of increasing your stats/leveling up is something that isn't in tabletop RPGs, and thus isn't a part of this definition?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm understanding the above quotes correctly when taken out of their original context, but are you including Secret of Mana in the RPG definition or not?

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, if you continue to pretend that "rediculous" is a word, I'm going to institute a word filter. Nothing personal; I just loathe that particular misspelling. It's "ridiculous." You know, like "ridicule"? Even if it was supposed to be pronounced "ree-diculous", that spelling reads like "red-iculous", which sounds so stupid it makes my eyes bleed.

Anyway! A genre is shorthand for an arbitrary set of conventions. Nothing more, nothing less. Those conventions can be anything from gameplay decisions to graphical styles to plot themes (I hate you Dad!). Those conventions shift over time, as more stuff comes out that tries subtly different things, and other stuff copies from that. And some of those conventions are going to be more important to some people than others. Treating genre as anything more than this -- for example, as some sort of authoritative categorization system -- leads to a lot of pointless, futile arguments over semantics that by definition no one will ever agree on.

I was about to agree with Shaper for arguing against the ludicrous idea of saying something has "RPG elements", because what the hell does that mean? The RPG genre has a bazillion conventions. You could argue that a FPS with an I-hate-you-dad let's-kill-God plot had "RPG elements". But then you went and said that Mario & Luigi had "platforming elements". I could argue that, mechanically, Mario & Luigi has more in common with The Adventures of Lolo than with Super Mario Bros. So do we say it has "puzzle elements"? Well, it's hardly Tetris, though, is it? It's more adventure gamey puzzles and OH GOD THE WHOLE THING JUST IMPLODES.

Can I say Shenmue? Because, people used to say Shenmue was kind of an RPG. I guess because it kept up the "wander around a lot taking vast amounts of time and energy to perform inane tasks" convention? I mean, getting a job moving crates is basically power-levelling, right? Also because I finally got to disc 4 in Shenmue II last night and also because I generally hate RPGs and don't really know any others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I was about to agree with Shaper for arguing against the ludicrous idea of saying something has "RPG elements", because what the hell does that mean? The RPG genre has a bazillion conventions. You could argue that a FPS with an I-hate-you-dad let's-kill-God plot had "RPG elements". But then you went and said that Mario & Luigi had "platforming elements". I could argue that, mechanically, Mario & Luigi has more in common with The Adventures of Lolo than with Super Mario Bros. So do we say it has "puzzle elements"? Well, it's hardly Tetris, though, is it? It's more adventure gamey puzzles and OH GOD THE WHOLE THING JUST IMPLODES.

I think this kind of sums up where the conversation is going.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus Ex - No or go?

It's got stat management that changes the way you play the game and dosen't involve pre-scripted events (most of the time).
nICO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

stuff about DQ8 being an evolution

It seems like all that stuff was done sufficiently enough to warrant mention by Morrowind... Do you think there is a way that DQ8 is an evolution off of (or simply different from) the Elder Scrolls series? I ask because I'll be starting Oblivion soon, but I also want to play DQ8. I'm trying to decide whether they seem different enough to play both at the same time.

I understand you were talking about in DQ8 in the context of the DQ series, but I needed a segue for my question!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Locke, I see your point. You're technically correct that it's the accidental side-effects of this era of games I find endearing. That makes sense.

My boss is illustrating a book on skeumorphs — I wonder if I can convince him to illustrate the battle menu of an RPG?

Wes, your comment about Shinji Mikami and RPGs nets you Post of the month!

Shaper, in regards to Dragon Quest 8, I think you're confusing the graphics engine with the gameplay. Dragon Quest 8 really is the exact same game as Dragon Quest 1. The scale and grandeur (and, yeah, incredible beauty) of DQ8's world doesn't evolve anything. I would argue that it in facts makes more readily apparent the age and limitations of the original gameplay concept.

Though in DQ8 a tree is a tree, the overworld is still just a representation of a "real" game world because you don't interact with it. There are still random battles, enemies you can't see. Until Dragon Quest gives you a world with people and enemies readily visible, with things to do immediately inside of it, its overworld is still just a theatre backdrop being moved on a conveyor to simulate a journey.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
It seems like all that stuff was done sufficiently enough to warrant mention by Morrowind... Do you think there is a way that DQ8 is an evolution off of (or simply different from) the Elder Scrolls series? I ask because I'll be starting Oblivion soon, but I also want to play DQ8. I'm trying to decide whether they seem different enough to play both at the same time.

Hmm, well, I wouldn't really put the two in the same catagory of RPG at all. If you wanted you could almost play Morrowind (excuse the lack of Oblivion, but it seems as though it is the same only ... better) as a FPS game. DQ8 is still very much DQ1 (See below for more) and pretty strict as well as fairly straight forward. I would like to say that Oblivion is no where near as straight forward, but I haven't played it yet. I know that over the hundreds of hours I spent in Morrowind I never completed the main quest (nor did I try to), but I don't think you could last that long in DQ8 without doing the main quests.

Lestrade wrote:
Shaper, in regards to Dragon Quest 8, I think you're confusing the graphics engine with the gameplay. Dragon Quest 8 really is the exact same game as Dragon Quest 1. The scale and grandeur (and, yeah, incredible beauty) of DQ8's world doesn't evolve anything. I would argue that it in facts makes more readily apparent the age and limitations of the original gameplay concept.

I am probably using the wrong wording, yea. Basically what I am trying to say is that DQ 8 is making huge steps towards the realisation of what all these weird representations were in the first game. Things like how battles look, to size and scale. It looks like FFXII may be making the same steps as well... but that's not out yet.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another game that is in no way, shape or form an RPG! Diablo and/or Diablo II!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oblivion is far more streamlined, but out of the 85 hours or so i put into it i spent maybe 20 of that on the main quest. the rest is just doing my thang, man.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
oblivion is far more streamlined, but out of the 85 hours or so i put into it i spent maybe 20 of that on the main quest. the rest is just doing my thang, man.

Awesome. I assume that you could replay it with another character and have the same time breakdown but in the remaining 65 non-main-quest-hours not do the same things that you did in those hours on the previous run?

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, to some degree. there's a lot less factions to fuck with, but there's plenty of daedra quests and weird side quests and the like.

and just plain old fashioned exploring, of course.

have you guys addressed the east/west split yet? is there one? (i think there is, obviously, but i may be confusing my tastes with genuine differences.)
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
have you guys addressed the east/west split yet? is there one? (i think there is, obviously, but i may be confusing my tastes with genuine differences.)

Not in precise detail. I think you should attempt it.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrpgs are for teh kiddiez.

wrpgs are for teh kiddiez with fake id'z.

seriously, there seems to be a lot more interest in freedom and freeform character development in the west than in jrpgs, which tend to be far more story-driven. even with a straddler sort of game like planescape: torment, which is almost entirely character driven (the character is the story, and vice versa) but doesn't offer too much freeform movement about and around (no real exploration, geographically) there's still a tremendous amount of freedom in how you make the story unfold.

jrpgs are far more interested in stories, it would seem. whereas something like the elder scrolls series is fixated on creating a landscape where people make their own stories.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
jrpgs are for teh kiddiez.

wrpgs are for teh kiddiez with fake id'z.

Games are for the kiddiez!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I thought of another game that is in no way, shape or form an RPG! Diablo and/or Diablo II!

-Wes

So uhh, seriously. What is it about Diablo and/or Diablo 2 that makes them closer to an RPG than SOTN?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So uhh, seriously. What is it about Diablo and/or Diablo 2 that makes them closer to an RPG than SOTN?

-Wes

Overhead view on a grid like area. Less interactive combat. Party based orginisation. But overall it is not an RPG, not really. It is a hack'n'slash action/adventure game.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

Overhead view on a grid like area. Less interactive combat. Party based orginisation. But overall it is not an RPG, not really. It is a hack'n'slash action/adventure game.

Crazy! Because doesn't Neverwinter Nights (single player or pre-scripted quest) play pretty much just like Diablo? What is it that makes that an RPG?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Shaper is technically correct that these elements are not really genre-specific, I'm a little leery of dropping the comparisons between genres because when it's been said that Simon's Quest has "RPG elements", it distinguishes it from both the first Castlevania and Mega Man 2, a distinction that is lost when we change that to "progression elements" (at least in terms of MM2).

Also, I think some of this is due to what Gillen calls "the death of genres", in the same sense that GTA: San Andreas is closer to the concept of a "Role-Playing Game" than the games that are in the "RPG" genre.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Crazy! Because doesn't Neverwinter Nights (single player or pre-scripted quest) play pretty much just like Diablo? What is it that makes that an RPG?

Neverwinter Nights essentially IS Dungeons and Dragons with purty graphics; the game (being based in the Forgotten Realms campaign) follows almost to a T the D&D 3rd Edition rules, and what's more, the game makes the player aware of its origins in that the message feedback you get is essentially the same things you would be hearing in a real game of D&D, i.e. you can expect to play the game in almost the same way you would with a handful of dice, a pencil, and a character sheet. Neverwinter Nights is arguably 'more RPG' than any other game with a claim to the genre, as you could seriously sit down with a Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and any other supplemental materials required, and have a (nearly) complete understanding of the underlying mechanics behind the game world in its entireity. If there's any other game that can boast of a similar degree of complexity, I'm not aware of it.

Diablo is just Gauntlet with mouse control.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What GSL says is true. When NWN was released some of my older friends (40's) who are long-time table-toppers were building modules and quests to emulate past pen-and-paper games.If it works in AD&D, it works in NWN.

Still, nothing beats a coffee table and a hex map. :-) As far as classic RPG experiences go (dungeon crawls, party-based adventuring, etc.), I still prefer a handful of dice and some friends.

Last edited by Lestrade on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Neverwinter Nights essentially IS Dungeons and Dragons with purty graphics.
Diablo is just Gauntlet with mouse control.

I call bullshit. Where the numbers come from don't matter at all to the player. Neverwinter Nights is different from D&D in one major, undeniable way. It's real time. That alone somehow makes the game feel just like Diablo, and people who know nothing about D&D wouldn't be able to differentiate a difference. If Diablo is Gauntlet with mouse control so is Neverwinter Nights and there is no such thing as the RPG.

So really, in SOTN whether or not you hit, miss, or critical an enemy is based on percentages that come directly from your character's stats, which are affected by armor, weapons, and experience level. Does this abstraction of rolling die to know whether you've hit, missed, or critically hit an opponent also have nothing to do with classifying a game as an RPG? Seems pretty important to me.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to insist that SOTN is an RPG because it assigns numerical statistics to character attributes, you might as well just call every nearly single videogame a RPG and throw in the towel, because underneath every action platformer, every FPS, every sidescrolling shooter, are numerical statistics governing everything from how fast a character moves to the damage they deal to--yes--their hit points. The original Castlevania, I'm sure nearly anyone would agree, is not at all an RPG, yet the player has a definite life bar, deals different amounts of damage depending on the weapon used, and takes different amounts of damage that varies depending on the attacking enemy. The crucial differences here are that A) the programmers never made allowances for battle occurrances like 'missing' or 'critical hits', and B) the player is, for the most part, not exposed to the underlying numbers that run the game.

You can holler bullshit all you want, but that still doesn't change the hard fact that NWN and Diablo are completely and utterly different. Also, what a game 'feels' like or doesn't is totally subjective depending on the player and thus has no validity concerning what genre a title is or isn't; if we're going to use that reasoning, then Gradius is the greatest Interstellar RPG ever made because the powerup system feels so much like levelling up in an RPG, and this topic is no longer relevant.
I'm going to assume, though, that you've either never played Neverwinter Nights, or have had very little experience with the game, because it's really hard to honestly compare it with Diablo. Diablo is essentially the modern day extension of games like NetHack or--as I mentioned--a less arcade-y version of Gauntlet. There are a lot of random occurrances--dice rolling--but as a casual player, you'll never know how or why they work, because you're not supposed to. NWN, on the other hand, was designed to be understood. With a minimum of effort, you know that a fighter gets a +5 base attack bonus at the 5th level, a character with a strength score of 20 can carry up to 153 points of equipment before being encumbered in any way, and a lich has a 'd12' for a 'hit die'. Of course Neverwinter Nights is played in the real time, because it's done with a computer that can generate the needed 'dice rolls' and fill the role of the 'dungeon master' with a speed that, to us, seems instantaneous. I really can't believe, though, that the real-time nature of NWN honestly represents some sort of hang up that makes it less qualified as a RPG and more of a hack-n-slash like Diablo. Diablo is very much like Symphony of the Night in that it is an action game, from a long line of action games, that took the bold step of including progression elements in obviously the only way the developers knew how: through a chart of attributes popularized by JRPGs.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An "RPG" element is just something that terraces out player experience to your character. In an Elder Scrolls game, the player never gets any better with a sword, but the character does. The inverse example is the player getting better at fighting enemies in Zelda. Of course, all games do this to some extent (in that simple button presses equate to what would often be performing various complex actions), but an RPG takes it out of your hands completely.

Every genre breaks down when you try to discover it's essence, because there's no such thing. Our definitions are based on interrelational groupings, not something universal you can dig out and point to.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Every genre breaks down when you try to discover it's essence, because there's no such thing. Our definitions are based on interrelational groupings, not something universal you can dig out and point to.

ApM wrote:
A genre is shorthand for an arbitrary set of conventions. Nothing more, nothing less. Those conventions can be anything from gameplay decisions to graphical styles to plot themes (I hate you Dad!). Those conventions shift over time, as more stuff comes out that tries subtly different things, and other stuff copies from that. And some of those conventions are going to be more important to some people than others. Treating genre as anything more than this -- for example, as some sort of authoritative categorization system -- leads to a lot of pointless, futile arguments over semantics that by definition no one will ever agree on.

Arguing about whether particular things fall into particular genres is about the least useful argument you can possibly have. Let's please stop having that argument, and get back to talking about games designed in the RPG tradition that also did interesting non-traditional things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not feel that Symphony of the Night is an RPG. I feel the same way you do when I see the game labeled as an "Action RPG" in various places. But I do think that to deny that the game has RPG elements is to completely disregard Igarashi's obvious inspiration. To think that he didn't look to the RPG genre when adding things that look like this is insane:

But ApM brings up a good point. Where does that get us? Is this really just a battle over semantics? Well yeah, essentially it is, but something about how the original post of this thread decides to classify games has bothered me from the very beginning. There are just too many loopholes in this way of thinking.

And the major loophole that I've come up with is Neverwinter Nights; a game which I most certainly have played, and have even worked on a few scenarios for. I even remember when it was announced. I didn't really look at pictures of it at all, but I read a bunch about how their goal was to recreate the experience of tabletop roleplaying within a game. I was pumped for this because as much interest as I have in Tabletop role playing, I never had anyone to play with. Looking at the books it always seemed like there were too many indistinct rules that no game before it had really been able to replicate the nuances of.

Imagine my surprise when I got to E3 and saw my first taste of Neverwinter Nights in action. The key word is action. The game looked just like Diablo in new trimmings. All of the decision-making that I assumed was present in D&D was gone - replaced by hacking and slashing and a little menu at the bottom that was there to remind you that all of those actions were actually representations of dice rolls.

Despite being turned off by its E3 presence, I went ahead and bought the game when it came out. It turned out that I was mostly right about the Diablo comparison with one minor difference, you didn't actually have to click your mouse for each attack. Other than this, the games structure is virtually identically. You get a mission, go out and kill a bunch of enemies while you make your way to a boss, then you defeat it, come home, and get your reward (usually experience). Your role in the game is primarily equipment, health bar, and magic point management, which is really no different from what makes Diablo more like an RPG than a Gauntlet clone, which is really no different from what makes Symphony of the Night more like an RPG than Castlevania IV.

I realized that its abstractions from D&D were too great when I heard that my girlfriend's mom had started plaing Neverwinter Nights as well. Unlike myself, who got fed up when I realized it was just more of the same, she played all the way through it and is looking forward to the sequel. I think the reason she - a casual computer gamer - can get into it is that it strips away all of the decision-making that defines the true pen and paper RPG experience and all that you're left with is the core RPG elements that are borrowed by nearly every other game that contains RPG elements. If you know what you're looking for you can pretend it's just like pen and paper role playing, but really it's just another PC game.

But to stay on topic, my favorite RPG that does things different is probably Vagrant Story. No more parties, no more epic quests, just a personal story, lots of stat management, and a whole lotta timed button presses. Beautiful!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo is closer to Nethack than it is to Gauntlet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: