The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Lucky Wander Boy"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McSweeney's is really shitty. I don't like Vice either.

And about the dude's jacket. I knew plenty of guys who dressed like that (minus the Harlem cap; they weren't complete morons), and dressing like that really is "breaking all the rules" in Russia, cause you seriously have to worry about people beating the shit out of you whenever you step outside. This is no joke; Friday drunks (which is about 90% of the country) really love any reason to pick a fight and unless someone's driving you and picking you up, there a 50/50 chance that you're going to have to fight/ run away from a few dickheads on your way home or to the place.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International hiphop is kind of a strange beast.

I was visiting England (on a terrible, terrible bus tour my family arranged, 3,000 miles in 2 weeks is no way to see a country) and had to burn a little time, so I was watching some music videos. What I learned from that was this: the French use "Mais Oui!" as a rough equivalent of "Awwww Yeah!"

I guess it's good that this thread hasn't quite devolved into a dumb game I play with my girlfriend, which is to wait until I hear some little aspect of Russian culture that seems odd or suboptimal (and look; obviously Russia has an amazing culture, not to mention kickass pragmatic engineering etc) and say "geez, no wonder you guys lost the cold war" I mean, heck, they don't have a word that easily indicates if a door is shut and locked or merely shut! What's up with that? (And to my credit, there's been a thousand things in the English language and/or American culture that I've been willing to say "yeah there's no good reason for that, it just is that way")
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you'd focus on that aspect; there are hundreds of other things to gripe about the Russian language.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
there are hundreds of other things to gripe about the Russian language.

Like how you can't read it as an english speaker?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I don't know why you'd focus on that aspect; there are hundreds of other things to gripe about the Russian language.

Well, the fact is that I'm craptastic with languages so in about 1 1/2 years of dating and hanging out with her family I've picked up about 10 words, maybe.

I like the cognate for "machine" because Russians also use it for "car".
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
seryogin wrote:
there are hundreds of other things to gripe about the Russian language.

Like how you can't read it as an english speaker?

Man, why are you acting up? Like I know you can totally read and understand Australian and British, as well as New Zealandish and Irish. I mean, WTF man, you're like a crazy polyglot.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assjack: irish is an actual language. it reads like a bad headcold.

beautiful people, though.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
assjack: irish is an actual language. it reads like a bad headcold.

beautiful people, though.

hex, I know Gaylic is a language...Oh, snap.

edit: this thread is becoming too ax like and TGQ ain't nobody's bitch. I am leaving. Bye Guys.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5nizza (a very annoying spelling for the word for Friday) is actually Ukrainian, they sing in that devil langauge. I don't remember ever hearing anything by them, though I'll check this song out.

Really? My Russian teacher and I translated the song and it didn't seem to deviate from any typical Russian grammatical rules...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, gaelic is the scotch version of this celtic family of languages.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:
5nizza (a very annoying spelling for the word for Friday) is actually Ukrainian, they sing in that devil langauge. I don't remember ever hearing anything by them, though I'll check this song out.

Really? My Russian teacher and I translated the song and it didn't seem to deviate from any typical Russian grammatical rules...

Ah...I was misinformed by my rap and Ukrainian-hating friend. They're from Kharkov, a predominantly Russian-speaking city in Ukraine (also the setting of The Young Scoundrel, one of my favorite books) so they most probably sprezchen ze Russian. And Ukrainian is grammatically the same as Russian. Only the vocab is different.

And, shit, Mike, don't get all Irish-y on me. Gaelic is what it's commonly called whether the provos like it or not. Besides, the only words that ever mattered in that tongue were Sinn Fein.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Besides, the only words that ever mattered in that tongue were Sinn Fein.

OH COME ON! COME ON!

i'm so going to get drunk and throw potatoes at you next time we hang out. GREEN POTATOES NO LESS.

also: i'm almost done with the don flows back to the sea. it's still good.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

No kidding. I went to a Talib Kweli show in London last fall, and both his openers were British hip-hop groups. I used to think Dizzee Rascal's flow was unique, but ALL of them use that voice-cracky, unintelligible style, and these guys were dressed alike and really gimmicky, to boot. Talib was bangin' though.

And I really like the Russian language. I like that a lot of the verbs that English would use with helper words (like 'get') are all integrated into one interesting word.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
And I really like the Russian language. I like that a lot of the verbs that English would use with helper words (like 'get') are all integrated into one interesting word.

I gotta say I think I still groove more on what I know of German (and unfortunately, possibly the temprement)... German language is like legos for syllables!

Though I like that Russian doesnt bother with the differerence between "a spoon" and "the spoon" ... just give me damn spoon! (Actually, for a giggle, try to make the distinction betweeen "hand me this spoon" and "hand me that spoon" that doesn't just say "well, this means it's kind of closer")
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

No kidding. I went to a Talib Kweli show in London last fall, and both his openers were British hip-hop groups. I used to think Dizzee Rascal's flow was unique, but ALL of them use that voice-cracky, unintelligible style, and these guys were dressed alike and really gimmicky, to boot.

Well, that'd be Grime as a whole, and you might as well be accusing Dirty South rappers of slurring their speech here. The brilliance of grime is that it's managed to fuse an unrelated musical style (2-step) with a specific pattern of speech to make the first real viable UK hip-hop subgenre (outside of Roots Manuva's dub-based explorations and Mike Skinner's diary, but those both rely too much on the individual to gain a wide army of copycats). You couldn't successfully separate the vocals from the music- grime wouldn't work with American accents or beats; it's distinctly British. So far Dizzee's been the only one to make a good full album (2!) out of it (Wiley's was trash; we'll see about Lady Sovereign), but from the various comps you can see it's a self-sustaining thing. By this I mean there are moments of brilliance, but there are also moments of idiocy which still manage to sound good, so there's potential for people of all walks to take part successfully.

Back onto the international bit: the only similar successful fusions of linguistic identity with hip-hop invention I've found have been TTC/Le Cuizinier's anticon-macho-disco-posse in French and Tha Blue Herb's Japanese syllablisms over degenerating beats. (And aspects of both are remarkably similar to each other). If anyone can point me in the direction of other such interesting material I'd be obliged. That Dolphin fellow sounds like a start. Have you got any links to his material, seryogin? I have a feeling I'm not going to get far searching for literate Belarassian hip-hop on my own, even on slsk.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lady sovereign is northern state for guys who are really into date rape.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though I like that Russian doesnt bother with the differerence between "a spoon" and "the spoon" ... just give me damn spoon! (Actually, for a giggle, try to make the distinction betweeen "hand me this spoon" and "hand me that spoon" that doesn't just say "well, this means it's kind of closer")

This is a misconception. While articles provide a unique dynamic in a language, when translating and listening to languages without them, they appear naturally. I take Japanese, too, and I've never had a problem trying to figure out whether it's "the" or "a," the situation and construction of the sentence always implies it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unrelated: is your nick a reference to john locke as in "john locke owns you fuckers" type shit?

cause if so you are now god.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:

This is a misconception. While articles provide a unique dynamic in a language, when translating and listening to languages without them, they appear naturally. I take Japanese, too, and I've never had a problem trying to figure out whether it's "the" or "a," the situation and construction of the sentence always implies it.

What's the misconception? I just double checked, Russia doesn't have articles...
Or is the misconception that they "miss it"? I don'never really doubted that it's pretty easy to figure out from context in most situations...
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
lady sovereign is northern state for guys who are really into date rape.

Is she? I haven't really followed her scene/persona, but that verse on Run the Road was pretty delicious; I was under the impression that Northern State had nothing going for them except being 3 (terribly) rapping girls. LS seems to at least bring her own inflection to the table, and it seemed infectious to me. Not that I'd be surprised if her eventual album shows her to be entirely propped up.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(terribly) rapping girl

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to dissapear from the discussion, but I got a real 9-5 that was annexed with apartment hunting for the better part of last week, so I was getting in at 11 and waking up at 6 and the internet wasn't all that appealing. On the upside, I signed a lease in Brooklyn, so hooray.

I suppose McSweeney's and the asthetic that sorrounds it is either something you like and enjoy or you despise not only MS, but those that like and enjoy it. It's fine either way, but it reminds me of when the broker asked us why we hated a place last week. "Was it too small? Did it not have enough windows? Was it too dirty?" and all I could say was, "It just didn't feel right". Also, "workshop-y" is not a valid critcism of anything, but blah blah, this is a thread about hip-hop now, so, uh. MF Doom?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilloD wrote:
so, uh. MF Doom?

I dunno, haven't heard it yet. I've been meaning to pick up that and Gnarls Barkley. I've been grooving on Southernunderground by CunninLynguists for a while now, though. It's pretty good, and my insides smile everytime there's an Andre 3000 line mixed into the beat (which happens on about 3 songs).
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in brooklyn?

the gnarls barkley album is quite smashing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
where in brooklyn?

the gnarls barkley album is quite smashing.

On the outer edges of Williamsburg, like a block from the Grand Street L. Nice place, can't complain.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a whim I picked up "Blue Wizard is About To Die"

It's kind of Lucky Wander Boy-ish in some of its analysis and mood, maybe not quite so much.

False advertising though, it claims to be "prose and poetry" but it looks like just poems. Given that I consider myself more of a prose guy, I was a little disappointed.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a signed copy of blue wizard.

i rather like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: