The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

article submission guidelines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: article submission guidelines Reply with quote

I've seen the FAQ, but is there a more detailed page and composing and submitting articles for consideration by TGQ? Things like where to send it, format, length recommendations, frequently encountered pitfalls (I think I have a feel for the content by reading the past issues but still), whether we recommend/include illustration for it or leave that to the people assembling the issue, etc....
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

informal guide by dhex:

1) shorter rather than longer. say what you mean (and say it mean!)

2) don't use any goddamn elipsis or i will hunt you down and kill you.*

3) italics are the domain of the poor souls consigned to do layout (at least it ain't quark) and should not be used for emphasis. if you cannot figure out how to say something without stressing a single word out loud, find another way to say what you're saying.*

4) narrative flow is important. anecdotes are good, but they should have a reason for being included in your piece.

5) there be a style guide in the works.

*this is my own personal jihad, in the pre-ottoman persian sense, at least as far as elipsis and italics go.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess I use those dangerous little dots a bit too often.

Sometimes I get self-conscious and replace them with emdash, or however it's spelled.

Italics I use extremely sparingly.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is indeed an emdash.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one working on the style guide, though I think that has less to do with what gets accepted and what doesn't, all of which is ultimately Shaper's call. I think all of the editors have their own thoughts about what makes a good article, some of which are undoubtedly contradictory.

I think that anyone who writes an article should be able to explain why the article is interesting. It is not enough for the game to be interesting. You can argue that your article is interesting because you are a good writer, but you must then be prepared for the reply, "But you're not a good writer."

I also think the writer should be prepared to explain what the purpose of the article is. Great article purposes are "to bring a smile to a lonely person" or "to mourn my loss." Good article purposes are "to share my feelings." The standard purpose is "to make the reader leap up and play the game." If your purpose is anything beginning with "to tell" or "to explain" you should go back to the drawing board.

Also, people's experience with actually playing games is spotty. When you write about a game, assume that your reader has not played it.

Also also, it is an em dash, not an "emdash".
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
I also think the writer should be prepared to explain what the purpose of the article is. Great article purposes are "to bring a smile to a lonely person" or "to mourn my loss." Good article purposes are "to share my feelings." The standard purpose is "to make the reader leap up and play the game." If your purpose is anything beginning with "to tell" or "to explain" you should go back to the drawing board.

I disagree with a lot of this stuff, but I definately respect and understand what you're saying. Personally, I'm less interested in "article purpose" than I am in articles that actually have a point. We get a lot of submissions that are technically well written but don't really seem to have a reason for existing in the first place. I'm happy with an article if it's made me both think about something and feel something. If an article holds the exclusive purpose of making me feel something I've noticed that I'm not as compelled to continue reading. Conversely, if an article makes me think about something but not feel anything I won't feel any connection with what I'm reading and I'll have less of a reason to come back to it later.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: