The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The tell us about random games thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: The tell us about random games thread Reply with quote

So when looking for a game which may or may not exist for dhex's sound-only thread, I ran across a couple titles I'd never encountered, which left me why I'd never heard anything about them before. The concepts just sound so in line with our collective interests that I was a little surprised about this.

For instance, there's apparently a scuba adventure call Everblue 2, which features beautiful fishes. Why hasn't anybody said a thing about this yet?

Also, Shadow of Destiny is an adventure (or is it survival horror? IGN isn't exactly reliable with their genre labeling) where you go back in time to try to prevent your own death.

Are either of these worth our attention? Also, post the titles of games you're wondering about here! I'm working on the assumption that between us all, we've probably played most of the games ever released.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The tell us about random games thread Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
For instance, there's apparently a scuba adventure call Everblue 2, which features beautiful fishes. Why hasn't anybody said a thing about this yet?

jiji wrote up aquanaut's holiday 2.

zarf wrote about shadow of destiny. and i believe andy was planning on writing about it but was too busy having a job or something.
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on the theme of this thread:
Someone tell me about Kya: Dark Lineage.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got all of the games mentioned in this thread except Aquanauts Holiday 2, which isn't Everblue 2. Everblue 2 sucks. Sczepaniak would disagree as I know he's a big fan, but I really didn't enjoy it. It's a game that emulates deep sea diving, but in doing so it also ends up meaning a lot of pointless wandering around. I'm probably not the best person to talk about this though because I tend to find "water levels" in games the most boring ones by far.

Shadow of Destiny on the other hand is great. Think of it as Silent Hill without the fighting and you'll have a pretty good idea what it's like. It's an adventure game where you travel back and forth through time trying to prevent your own death. What I learned from this game is that interacting with yourself in a different time period instantly creates a rift in time and space, causing you to die instantly. I played this during college and everyone else in the room knew it ahead of time for some reason. I guess that's what I get for having my only other experience with time travel sci-fi be Back to the Future!

Kya: Dark Lineage, if it's the game I'm thinking of, is a second tier platformer published by Atari a few years ago. I always got it confused with Beyond Good and Evil because they both got released around the same time and both featured similary characters. In reality they're pretty different, and if Beyond Good and Evil is a Zelda-style game, Kya is the Mario equivalent. It's very cookie cutter platformey, but it's actually using one of the better cookie cutters and ends up being pretty good. If you can get it for cheap I might pick it up, but otherwise don't bother.

I've got a question now: Darkened Skye, the Gamecube game, is rumored to be a game that is silently licensed using the skittles property. Was this just a bad joke made by IGN in their review or is the game actually funded by candy?

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've got a question now: Darkened Skye, the Gamecube game, is rumored to be a game that is silently licensed using the skittles property. Was this just a bad joke made by IGN in their review or is the game actually funded by candy?

It's not a joke. It really happened. I've seen screenshots.

Coincidently, the newest issue of Game Informer has a "point-counterpoint" style editorial about advertising in games... most of the screenshots used were from EA titles.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess that's what I get for having my only other experience with time travel sci-fi be Back to the Future!

Whereas you should have been watching Time Cop? The same matter can't occupy the same space or something.

From everything I've seen Darkened Skye is quite tongue-in-cheek about the Skittles thing. But you do go around collecting them. Like M&Ms in ET?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Like M&Ms in ET?

I believe so, except without all the crappiness (even though I never played Darkened Skye so I don't know that). I think some of the Skittles gave you special powers, too.
jiji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Everblue 2 lately, in fact. I think I'm just about finished with it. It's sort of a "vacation-game," in the way Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball is, in that everything about it is so simplified, and yet so pleasing if you're not overthinking things, that it feels like a vacation from other types of games. The tranquil setting and beaches and blue-blue water helps with that, too. Of course, instead of playing volleyball, you're exploring sunken ships and ruins for things to salvage. You can sell what you find, or you can fulfill the requests of people who live on the island on which the game's based. There's an item-combination system and a camera that lets you take pictures of fishies, and there are lists of things to fill up and many, many things to collect. It's like all the sweet, gooey bits from several RPGs rolled into one, driven by trips undersea that share more than a little with King's Field (in a good way). It's not perfect, and it's really easy to break the balance of the game, but it's worth the going price.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, it's the jeej.

hey jiji.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
hey, it's the jeej.

hey jiji.

Hi!

Wow, I didn't realize I first registered here on my birthday.
jiji

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still curious, simplicio, I wrote up Everblue 2, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: