The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

palm os games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: palm os games? Reply with quote

any ideas?

it seems like a miasma of spyware and suck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does scummvm have a palm os flavor? If so that's all I'll recommend. Otherwise you're probably right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Palm OS 5 version of ScummVM, I believe.

Assuming you like your Palm simple and functional (i.e. have a pre-OS 5 device) there's a slew of decent games available. PopCap's Bejeweled is a lot of fun. If roguelikes are your thing, iRogue is quality entertainment. Also, I find Noiz (by the developer behind Tumiki Fighters!) to be quite entertaining. As far as RPGs go, I really like Dragon Bane.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookworm by PopCap. It's like crack, but less ilegal and it has a worm in it. So I guess that would make it Tequila or something.

I think they have MAME on Palm OS too, but I'm sure it's got a lot of limitations.

While we're kind of on the subject, a friend of mine has a Game Boy emulator on his iPod Video. It's really limited but runs games at full speed. The iPod doesn't have enough buttons for that kind of thing.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recurring Palm addiction is this little game called Rally 1000, a friendly little port of Mille Bornes that might now be illegal because of action by the copyright holder. Google or lemme know if you come up short...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a nes emu to run. it's basically pointless, but it was cool to see.

the size of the palm software market is kinda freaky. 20 bucks for games?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm normally pretty dead-set against piracy, but in the case of Palm games, I can almost excuse it; I have not played one game on the Palm platform that is worth more than $10. That's not at all a commentary on their quality, it's just that paying any more for games on such a limited device is just ridiculous.
I wouldn't invest too much into PDA games if I were you, though. Like a cellphone, it's nifty to load your Palm up with some fun, momentary distractions, but it's definitely nothing close to even the old black-and-white GameBoy.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noiz is totally crackworthy though. really.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, NOIZ is great...intersting how the sparse B+W Palm version probably plays better than the eye-candy web one.

Variations of SFCave are good too for a very quick game hit.

Sigh, at one point I think there was a filed-polygon port of Elite that got blown up 'cause of legal tie-ups. I hate stuff like that.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noiz has a poorly-done DS port!

This guy makes some outstanding stuff. I recommend Igzo the Dolphin and Ball2 especially. I think maybe someone in the past was releasing them as freeware without his consent, 'cause I can't find a standalone download for either of them anymore.

I really dig LispMe, but that's not really a game.

And of course there's JoustPong!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
This guy makes some outstanding stuff. I recommend Igzo the Dolphin and Ball2 especially.

those are beautiful.

battle city!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Noiz has a poorly-done DS port!

This guy makes some outstanding stuff. I recommend Igzo the Dolphin and Ball2 especially. I think maybe someone in the past was releasing them as freeware without his consent, 'cause I can't find a standalone download for either of them anymore.

And of course there's JoustPong!

Heheh, thanks for the mention. I had almost forgotten about that port, usually I just think of the VB original, the not so hot online Java version (pretty, but prone to getting stuck) and the surprisingly most feature rich 2600 port.

The PocketC version is "interesting" to me in two ways... one is that the src code fits in a single palm 4K memo, which was a fun arbitrary restriction... at one point I was toying with sponsering a one-memo programming contest, but never quite got around to it. The other is that it's completely controllable by a single button (as are all JoustPoing ports), which meant it was an exceptionally good commuting game, since it can be easily played with one hand.

I need to stick my head in and see what it takes to make DS homebrews these days.... esp w/ the networking possibilities. I bought a .... damn! Can't remember the name! No wait... googling myself on rec.games.video.classic, it's "Cybiko".. to see about homebrewing on. They were in a "new downlaod every day" mode for a while, and promised an open API, and had adhoc networking, so I bought one....and of course never knew anyone else with one, so my idea about writing games for it never got too far. Cybiko is an interesting footnote to gaming history.

Anyway the "This Guy" there guy.... judging by the screenshots it looks like he has a single engine he uses in a lot of interesting ways... it reminds me a bit of those old LCD games, that had a grid of an odd shape repeated, and that could be made to make different games. It also reminds me of this one odd entry to the Obfuscated C contest...I think.... it was an implementation of a cellular automata running system tweaked to write games in... very odd, I should look it up and see if my memory serves me, a quick google didn't locate it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
an implementation of a cellular automata running system tweaked to write games in...

i demand more information.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
an implementation of a cellular automata running system tweaked to write games in...

i demand more information.

Well, since you insist, and since I'm so eager to please/impress in the august company.......

I don't have time to try this stuff again, I remember messing w/ it but not getting too far back in the day. So take this with a grain of salt:

Paging through http://www1.us.ioccc.org/years.html it looks like the entry is "rince" under 1993. (at first I thought Rince 1991 was a previous version, but it looks like 1993 just happens to have a game written in this CA "CABBAGE" which is the same as the BalderDash-ish game he wrote in Obfuscated C in 1991)

http://www1.us.ioccc.org/1993/rince.design is probably the clearest description
http://www1.us.ioccc.org/1993/rince.hint is the "hint file" mention to explain w/o giving too much away.... see also http://www1.us.ioccc.org/1991/rince.hint for talk of the old game and remember http://rot13.com/ is your best source for rot13 encoding,

It comes embedded with Space Invaders, he also coded a Balderdashish game I think, Sokobon, and Breakout. I didn't have much luck coding other variants way back when, but the idea has captivated me. I remember trying to write my own CA interpreter to change some of the ground rules...maybe one that used a buffer, to remove some of the assymetry that results from the parsing order of the rules, and maybe had a concept of wildcarding.

For those who don't know the Obfuscated C contest is an annual competition to write the most amazingly mindbendingly hard to decipher C code to do something interesting. Some entries are more obfuscated, some are more interesting in their ened result, I think this leans toward the latter
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds an awful lot like Kenta Cho's HenyaG for Palm!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
That actually sounds an awful lot like Kenta Cho's HenyaG for Palm!

Whoo...just playing around w/ the Google translation of that (there should be a special name for "Engrish" that's auto-generated by mediocre translation software...) -- interesting!, I have no idea what's going on w/ the samples, in terms of how the games were made. It looks a bit like a "make your own Game and Watch" construction kit... (which is pretty much what the translation says.)

and that in turn reminds me of the attempts to make the best possible game out of the old Atari 2600 "Basic Programming" cart...

It also reminds me of some "Pac Pix" inspired multiplayer (networked) game ideas I have... drawing little O, X, [_]s (for rock scissors paper, respectively, that last one is supposed to be a 4 sided box), and then having them crystalize into objects that you can then hurl at the other player's forces... I wonder how hard it is to rig up that kind of gesture recognition, or the corresponing collision detection...
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distinguishing between circles and squares would probably be the hardest bit.

(btw: DS Homebrewing requires one of these + GBA Flashcart. The whole setup will probably run you about $75. Here is a WiFi lib for your enjoyment.)

Anyway, the way HenyaG works, is that you draw "objects" onto the screen, with the idea being that you only get one screenful of objects to play with (like the LCD games of yore). You then fill in rules much in the same way as rince, only more tedious because each object is its own distinct entity. So, for example, you would say that, if the player presses "left", and the middle spaceship object is being displayed, clear the middle spaceship object and turn on the left spaceship object. You'd fill in another, similar rule to move from the far right to the middle. There was a way to work in randomness and timing, as part of the triggering requirements for a rule, but I never quite figured out how those worked.

Unfortunately, the implementation left something to be desired -- the main problem I had was that it didn't actually store the drawing for each object. There was simply one big drawing, that each object would erase or redraw a rectangle out of as needed. So if your objects overlapped, there'd be big, random, ugly holes whenever one of them got turned off. Not to mention that the drawing code made it basically impossible to make anything that looked like more than a big, jittery mess.

Still, it was rather amusing to play around with!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: