The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i got five problems (but a game ain't one)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: i got five problems (but a game ain't one) Reply with quote

http://firingsquad.com/features/problems_with_video_game_journalism/default.asp

some of what they describe is the nature of writing on deadline - if you wait too long you're writing history, not journalism. style issues aside, as that's more a function of writers + editors + editorial slant/nature of publication.

but beyond that...the point about the distortion of a sense of value is actually quite useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innovation bias is the thing I tend to have the most problem with when I'm reading reviews, and that's a general game-media-culture issue.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a realy good article, though it only really scratches the surface while occasionally hinting at the more profound problems with games journalism.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Mr Hex slowly rises up the ranks of my many heroes in life. That's a good article to link to!

It's also why I like feature writing, and retro coverage.

Fun Fact: I've never, ever been paid to write a review. They've all been features of varying types, mainly historical retrospective features, and interviews.

But I agree completely with the sentiments. For example, when writing about the Popful Mail series, I rushed through the Turbo Duo version in two days. As a result of this hasty work, I failed to wax verbally about the later exclusive stages, which are the reason for playing that version. I only covered it in brief. Only a few weeks after I'd handed it in, did these stages start to weigh down on my mind, and now I regret not covering them more.

Another major problem, unlike films, is that modern games take FAR too long to play. So much so, I don't bother buying many games. I mean, come on! Remember when great RPGs only took 20 hours to complete? You could do them in a weekend!

Now it's all 75 hours plus.

That feature highlights several problems with the industry, which are continuing to grow worse, and are cyclical in nature.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:

Another major problem, unlike films, is that modern games take FAR too long to play. So much so, I don't bother buying many games. I mean, come on! Remember when great RPGs only took 20 hours to complete? You could do them in a weekend!

Now it's all 75 hours plus.

the sad part is, in most contemporary RPGs is that they pretty much have around the same amount of gameplay as their older, shorter bretheren..
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one must, of course, separate jrpgs from american ones when discussing play length. american rpgs have probably gotten much shorter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice article written from a semi-academic point of view. I'd keep the points he made in mind while editting a review.

But really, there really is a lack of reflection in reviews. It's like writing book reports in high school - all mindless retelling not personal commentary. It's just so easy to fall into.

And this is Persona using Kinuko's computer again. BWARGHAGH.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the flipside can be true...i've read plenty of stuff that was mindless personal crap and not enough storytelling.

the one thing that struck me about this list was that there was nothing about making the review/interview/piece compelling. i guess it's assumed that with a fanbase...it's all compelling.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
well, the flipside can be true...i've read plenty of stuff that was mindless personal crap and not enough storytelling.

the one thing that struck me about this list was that there was nothing about making the review/interview/piece compelling. i guess it's assumed that with a fanbase...it's all compelling.

I agree there. There are lots of complaints about reviews slobbering over graphics and sound effects, but, really, that doesn't mean that wistful accounts of "Final Fantasy and ice cream" are any more instantly gratifying.

A videogame critic has to make whatever he's talking about sound fresh, and since so many games of a single genre are alike he constantly has to think of new ways of telling the same things, or, if he's of clever the sort, find something that nobody else had noticed. Likewise, many people who pen nostalgia pieces would do well to read and study complelling memoir writing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
find something that nobody else had noticed.

This is what I look for in reviews! Not that I read many.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: