The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can unplayable games be considered games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Can unplayable games be considered games? Reply with quote

Cuase lets face it, you PLAY games. And if you can't play a game, be it because of horrible control, graphics, sound, then can you still consider it a game?

I've been playing Xenosaga II (I didn't think it was going to be this bad) and I'm about read to scream. Voice acting is horrible, battle system is horrible . . . I seriously yelling at the game every few minutes for how lame it is, how hard it tries to be cool, and how confusing everything in the game can be. But I will keep playing it. I will beat it . . . because well, that builds character. And I live in Japan and have a very limited number of games left to play, so if I don't beat it then I'll be bored for a very long time. I really need to buy a DS ....

I can only play this game from save point to save point then turn it off and forget about it for a few days.
disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how the word "unplayable" is horribly misused by so many of the gamer folk.

Any minor negative element can instantly transform an entire game into "unplayable", according to legions of Hulkamaniacs out there.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Ryan.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Ryan, get a GP2X. I hear the DS makes you sterile and a fan of Meg Ryan movies!

Also, Xenosaga Ii sucks, but had a good commercial with the schoolkids in it. Remember?
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, let's chill on the elitism for a moment. You've broken down Ryan’s poor thread before it even got off the ground yet.

The argument that a game is unplayable is just as strong as the agreement that a game is artist. Both experiences must be inherent and interpersonal. Even one of our own articles this season had the agreement of game reaching a certain zenith as to be called artist, and it shown that it all depends of the guy you ask.

So, make like Ryan’s request of list your on unplayable games, and try to have a little fun with it.

At certain hours of the night, Half Life Deathmatch is unplayable to me, because I get beaten to a pump so often.
Then depression sets in.
I even made that my online name (“ThenDepressionSetsIn”) to remind myself that I'm not as great as these other kids. But then the name has a clever reverse meaning when I do well enough not to be deemed terrible.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is still a game. I mean, you really just wanted to complain about Xenosaga II here right? Go for it.

I should mention that the battle system in FFIV Advance was extreamly flawed to the point that I had to make shit up to justify it to myself. I am really shocked that it went to print in this manner. I really enjoyed the game, but were I to write for Gamepro or something I would have to give it only a moderate grade of like 6/10 or something. Just to spit it in their face. Hopefully people would be able to read between the lines though. I mean "preemptive strike"? Yea right. Still, even though the last FF I enjoyed was V, and I had never played IV before, I could see where it was coming from. I should also note that a lot of the problems of the game did not start to really come out until I was about half way into the game, where I was already hooked at that point.

An "unplayable" game is still a game, and there is always someone who will enjoy it.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaBeeWilliams wrote:
Guys, let's chill on the elitism for a moment. You've broken down Ryan’s poor thread before it even got off the ground yet.

He did that himself.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GunValkyrie on Xbox is pretty nifty. Despite it's crazy control scheme, it's rather fun once you overcome that hurdle and are comboing and air dashing all over the place.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
GunValkyrie on Xbox is pretty nifty. Despite it's crazy control scheme, it's rather fun once you overcome that hurdle and are comboing and air dashing all over the place.

If anyone considers GunValkyrie anything but playable I will destroy them. It very well may be my favorite Xbox game (as long as I'm pretending not to like Halo 2). Still haven't beaten it though!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, how about some of those original Atari 2600 games like E.T.? There was also Indiana Jones, and Pitfall . . . Those games needed pinpoint accuracy on jumps or else you'd never advanced. I never beat either of those ....
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible trial-and-error gameplay doesn't make a game unplayable. an unplayable game is simply not interactive in any way, shape, or form, and then it wouldn't be a game.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
terrible trial-and-error gameplay doesn't make a game unplayable. an unplayable game is simply not interactive in any way, shape, or form, and then it wouldn't be a game.

What about pachinko?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, um... touché, I guess. I don't like pachinko, or any 'game' of chance. They still don't fit in my definition of a game. If there's a guy who tells me that each time he sees me there's a .01 % chance he'll write my name on a board and give me five bucks, it's not much of a game. He's just being a jerk.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well come to think of it, so far Xenosaga II is about 70% movies. I mean, I hardly get to play anything in that game. The first was almost as bad (movies for an hour, then save, then another movie), and I think that many of the newer games in some genres seem to be putting way too much emphasis on movies and graphics rather than gameplay. I mean, I love watching that stuff just as much as the next person, but games need balance.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Well come to think of it, so far Xenosaga II is about 70% movies. I mean, I hardly get to play anything in that game. The first was almost as bad (movies for an hour, then save, then another movie), and I think that many of the newer games in some genres seem to be putting way too much emphasis on movies and graphics rather than gameplay. I mean, I love watching that stuff just as much as the next person, but games need balance.

I like games I can watch. I really suck at playing Metal Gear Solid games, but I'm awesome at watching the cutscenes.

Why should a video game have to be continuous? A baseball game isn't.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
I like games I can watch. I really suck at playing Metal Gear Solid games, but I'm awesome at watching the cutscenes.

YOu know that Metal Gear Solid 3: Substance is dedicating an entire disc to the game in movie form? You should get it. Umong other things, Substance has me pretty excited.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

YOu know that Metal Gear Solid 3: Substance is dedicating an entire disc to the game in movie form? You should get it. Umong other things, Substance has me pretty excited.

I'm curious to see how this really plays out. I mean I never really thought of the movies linking together directly in MGS3, so are they going to add more scenes? Either way, I'm sure it will be cool.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure nothing happens between the cut-scenes in mgs3.

well, maybe the ladder.

they should insert a recording of snake climbing the ladder. the whole thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: