The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games don't have to be based around combat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Games don't have to be based around combat? Reply with quote

It seems to me that the need for a game to have thousands of enemies in it, so that the player can mindlessly but enjoyably slaughter them is coming to an end. We are getting to the stage where we could make games with lots of different objectives that would allow the player to feel as though they are a) taking part in a story, rather than an early Arnie "The Governator" film.

Games like Tony Hawk's Underground and Grand Theft Auto have many varied tasks that use certain game mechanisms in different ways to make quite varid objectives (ie. they aren't *all* about killing -especially in THUG).

I imagine a game which would involve you in a story by giving you tasks ie. look after the princess as she goes on her evening walk. At which point the princess would be captured by the "big bad foozle". Instead of giving you a game over because you failed to protect her, this would be a scripted failure that would give the enemy a gameplay advantage over you so that you could not rescue her at that time. Ie. If you try to chase the princess and her kidnapper's they have a faster horse / dragon that allows them to get away.

So here it would be a way of fixing the story through gameplay means ie. because the player has slower equipment they CANNOT get the princess back.

But, the player sees where they take her (ie. into the huge castle in the distance) and so can start to follow. When he gets to a bridge guarded by a troll, who won't let him get by unless he is distracted by food. So the player has to fish or hunt to carry on.

The aim would be to make a game which feels like an *adventure* (and is as varied as an old adventure game) but carried out through in-game actions rather than by point and click.

The game would aim to get rid of the visible structure of missions that is in THUG, and instead make a more natural environment where you would see what needs to be done and then try to do it.

Thoughts?
BrokenFiction

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been craving these types of adventures lately, ones that harken back to the original King's Quest series, where the emphasis was on exploration, discovery, figuring out puzzles, etc. Why kill the troll when you can lead him away from it with the irritable donkey, which you can only get with the carrot on a stick. You have to get the carrot by clearing the farmer's field of rabbits, and the stick with string by fishing...etc...etc... You get the idea.

I love smacking down baddies as much as the next guy, but I miss this style of gameplay. So, I'm with you all the way.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat is the most simplistic of ways to invoke interaction, which is what video games are all about. So why go through the hassle of figuring out new ways of interaction when you don't need to?

I think that the main problem is the market. While the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" would make a good game. You have chess sequences where you start out as a low level player all the way to the end tournament, telling a dramatic story in the gaps. No one would buy it. Uwe Boll can get Ben Kingsly for Bloodrayne the movie, but I bet hard earned cash Company X would not have gotten Ben Kingsly for the role he played in SfBF had it been pitched as a game over a film.

So you have two problems. One is that we are still in somewhat simplistic forms of expression, and two that we have no market for anything else. Games like Phoenix Wright (which is out of print and mostly sold out according to hearsay) points to an improvement in this. Same with Trauma Center. Riven (well Myst, then amplified by Riven) also solved the need for combat issue.

I am sure dhex can explain the combat = interaction thing better.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shaper. There's not really a market for non-combat games, and there's not really a good replacement for it just yet.

The best games understand that combat is less the point, and more a means of keeping the player involved in between the game's events, puzzles, and/or exploration. The game that you seem to be looking for does exist and has existed for a long, long time (check out Grim Fandango, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, Myst, Lost in Blue, Leisure Suit Larry, or one of numerous text adventures), but the problem is that there's generally not much going on to keep your fingers busy in between the game events and the pacing tends to suffer. Thinking about it, the one thing that all of the aforementioned titles shares is a slow pacing. Without combat there's just not usually a whole lot to keep your mind and fingers busy. I think Tim Shaffer realized this when he made Psychonauts. It contains everything that makes a text adventure great, but it's all layered on top of the conventions of a platformer. There are entire levels without combat (ok one, and that level does have a boss).

So we're stuck with a dilemma. Do you make a game that puts combat in as a way to keep the player interested, or do you make a game without combat at the expense of entertainment? I think it's most important to keep a player interested. These ARE video games, right?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resident Evil 4 makes combat the entire game.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
BrokenFiction

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing (as two quick examples)? I don't know sales figures (worldwide or domestic), but it seems that there is a market for these non-combat types. Both are nominally RPGs, which is a slight departure from the adventure genre, but not too much of a stretch.

There was once an incredible market for games like this, and I just think it would take the right game and the right platform to pull it off. Obviously, the Revolution comes to mind, but the DS could do it just as well.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Without combat there's just not usually a whole lot to keep your mind and fingers busy.

Okay, but there's no reason this needs to be the case since the idea of "combat" is just the metaphor. You could make any number of actions occur by twiddling an analog stick and pressing buttons in the same way.

The idea that combat is innately more interesting is an artifact of our culture, if anything.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrokenFiction wrote:
What about games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing [...] the Revolution comes to mind

Use the controller as a watering can! Plow your own fields with one simple motion. Holy crap, my wife is going to die when I tell her about this.

Yes, those are two excellent examples. Animal Crossing DS keeps me far more entertained than a game of this manner should. The closest thing to combat is attempting to net your friends when they visit your town. . . or cut them in half with a shovel.
BrokenFiction

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use the controller as a watering can! Plow your own fields with one simple motion. Holy crap, my wife is going to die when I tell her about this.

I had this weird daydream where Nintendo licensed the hardware of the Rev controller, and it produced a flood of 3rd party controllers in the shape of lightsabers, baseball bats, tennis rackets, fishing poles, swords, etc... I can't imagine I won't fork over the moolah to work on my power backhand in Mario Tennis. Smile
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrokenFiction wrote:
I had this weird daydream where Nintendo licensed the hardware of the Rev controller, and it produced a flood of 3rd party controllers in the shape of lightsabers, baseball bats, tennis rackets, fishing poles, swords, etc... I can't imagine I won't fork over the moolah to work on my power backhand in Mario Tennis. Smile

I really don't think it would be too hard to make a sort of slip sleve of some sort for a revolution controller to go into. I mean, then you could save money and the consumer does not have to pay for a slew of new controllers. They could even make up their own name for it (like how "skins" seems to be the popular word for the console stickers) ... they could be called "controller sweaters"!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some kind of sock-like (or even contraceptive-like) "skin" you slip over your Rev "pad" to enhance it?

The mind boggles!
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvest Moon is fun because it's hand on. It could be any RPG game the way you navigate and manipulate the environment.

I mean, it's more fun than SimFarm which is a more robust simulation.

As a counter-example, Sands of Time would have been a lot more fun if there was no combat to slow down the pace.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
As a counter-example, Sands of Time would have been a lot more fun if there was no combat to slow down the pace.

See, that I disagree with. It wasn't the combat itself that slowed down Sands of Time, it was the implementation. The battles were implemented in such a way that they had to do either fighting or acrobatics, but not both. The second game did this a bit better, but at the expense of acrobatics. I haven't played the third game, so I can't comment on that.

The issue is that buttons on the controller tend to correspond to verbs and the most exciting verbs are all combat oriented. Jump, punch, kick, crouch. These are a lot more exciting both mentally and physically than speak, nod, shake head, shrug, and wave.

Someone should try playing Silent Hill 2 with the combat turned off, then try playing it with the puzzles turned off and report back which was a more compelling experience.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone should try playing Silent Hill 2 with the combat turned off, then try playing it with the puzzles turned off and report back which was a more compelling experience.

Now this is interesting. I've never played Silent Hill, but this concept intrigues me. The ability to play a game two different ways and achieve different outcomes like this would be wonderful, though I could imagine it's basically double the workload for the developers...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrokenFiction wrote:
I've never played Silent Hill, but this concept intrigues me...

Dear god, someone help this man.

On topic! I was thinking about this a bit more. As much as I am loving Ecco CD right now (much better with CD audio) I think it completly bizarre that there is as much "combat" as there is. This game would be perfect with just harmful obsticales and the puzzles. Infact, I think it would enhance it.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Lackey wrote:

See, that I disagree with. It wasn't the combat itself that slowed down Sands of Time, it was the implementation.

sands of time would have greatly benefitted from combat that actually...worked, but the game would play a lot better with no combat than with the combat that is in it now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Some kind of sock-like (or even contraceptive-like) "skin" you slip over your Rev "pad" to enhance it?

The mind boggles!

Linked over from 4cr. Yeah, I'd buy one.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrokenFiction wrote:
Linked over from 4cr. Yeah, I'd buy one.

Yea! Shit like that is going to totally have me going off the handle.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Yea! Shit like that is going to totally have me going off the handle.

you'll have to post movies of you and andy enganging in sword-fighting shennanigans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: pressure vs. improvisation. Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Okay, but there's no reason this needs to be the case since the idea of "combat" is just the metaphor. You could make any number of actions occur by twiddling an analog stick and pressing buttons in the same way.

The idea that combat is innately more interesting is an artifact of our culture, if anything.

True, in fact that is partly what this thread is about ie. that we can do other things than fight via twiddly sticks. But what I did notice in THUG was that most of the tasks seemed more a test of pulling off the combos, except where I was trying to catch up with a golf cart and having to work out the best way to use the scenery and physics to grab it. There was also a time limit, this felt like a 'video game' because of two things. 1. more pressure* and a feeling of an active opponent. 2. because I had to improvise (rather than repeat preset combos) to deal with the changing circumstances that the buggies movement brought about.

Whereas in the other goals ie. "do a nosegrind over three monuments" I felt that the opponent was "me" and my mastery of the controls and movement. What is more is that the lack of pressure brought about by not having depleting health meters made it feel more laid-back.

Now take a fishing game, what if you added a time limit and gave you three goes to get the fish this would make it more exciting and "videogamey" in fact it could feel a bit like like Punch-Out. (although it would need a specific strategy for each fish, and preferably killer fish that would attack you if you didn't catch them - bleh).

(P.s: what I think I'm envisaging is somewhere between an adventure game and Tony Hawks - Metal Gear - GTA). Ie. it would capture the feel and combat-free approach of old King's Quest type games, but ! but ! but ! it would encourage experimentation and using the skills that you learn in different ways, and experimenting. So it would have the interaction of these (THUG,GTA,MGS) but the feeling atmosphere and detail of Zork, Wishbringer, Fatal Frame (depending on genre) etc King's Quest etc. Unlike these old adventures, there would be more in the way of emergent (or combinant?) action, so that it wouldn't just be a case of do the same action each time.

Ie. You could distract the troll by riding the Donkey past him, and then it would be a *race* to get back to the bridge (fast paced and "interesting".).
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About fish: That's how Sega Bass Fishing and Sega Marine Fishing for the Dreamcast work. They are based on arcade games though, it makes sense.

Quote:
The issue is that buttons on the controller tend to correspond to verbs and the most exciting verbs are all combat oriented. Jump, punch, kick, crouch. These are a lot more exciting both mentally and physically than speak, nod, shake head, shrug, and wave.

Okay, but not all direct, physical verbs have to do with combat. Sports and racing games are an obvious examples. For a different kind though, in the Spiderman 2 game (from what I played of it) just navigating the city was much more interesting than the combat, even though the combat was pretty involved (combos and everything!). I guess you could broaden the question to something like "why is action compelling?"

My point with Sands of Time was just that the acrobatics are very compelling. That part would be fun without fighting (even without this really good hypothetical combat). There are action sequences other than battles.

I'm not convinced that it's a sliding scale between combat and entertainment.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
About fish: That's how Sega Bass Fishing and Sega Marine Fishing for the Dreamcast work.

You beat me to the punch. Those are both very excellent games. I have spent way more time than I should have with Marine Fishing. Both games and the controller were worth every penny.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driving and sports game thing is probably the most obvious counter-argument to this original topic. There's a huge market for these things and - in America at least - these are probably the biggest selling games. They're also the type of games that lack empathy, but that's a different topic altogether.

Back to Prince of Persia. I forgot about mentioning this before, but Ubisoft's recent King Kong game does a pretty good job of mixing combat and acrobatics during the Kong sections. The goal of these sections is generally to keep the girl from getting eaten by keeping any enemies near her busy. So you end up fighting a bunch of stuff, then chasing her down by doing some cool-looking acrobatic stuff, then finding her and keeping the enemies away from her again. It wouldn't work for an entire game, but it works well in the context.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The driving and sports game thing is probably the most obvious counter-argument to this original topic. There's a huge market for these things and - in America at least - these are probably the biggest selling games. They're also the type of games that lack empathy, but that's a different topic altogether.

Sports games seem to be getting labled as sports simulators now a days. At least I see it popping up from time to time. None the less both of these will frequently involve some form of "combat" if you really wanted to get technical.

Sports games and Driving games aside I think he is getting at the same argument that surfaced just before the last GDC, and ended in the Emily Dickenson game. As far as the other catagories go, I would guess that 90% of the market has games driven forward or filled by combat in on way or another. Even games which are extreamly story heavy have the player interacting in combat to fill the holes of time between (basically) watching a movie.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
As far as the other catagories go, I would guess that 90% of the market has games driven forward or filled by combat in on way or another.

We should look at best seller charts instead of the store shelves. I would bet that less than, or right around 50% of it is populated with games that are focused on killing. If we look at causal games that number might even triple. Puzzle games rarely involve violence.

But yeah, this topic is basically dancing around saying that the straight adventure game genre is dead. No kidding! The genre still exists though. It's just been merged into the action, RPG, and survival horror genres and is left clinging to combat as a way to support the pacing.

The problem with adventure games has always been that they live and die pretty much exclusively on storytelling. Games - video games - are not very conducive to storytelling. Video games are a non-linear art fom and storytelling is a linear art form. Because of this, designers are stuck making concessions to either the story or the gameplay to make sure that they the game has a consistant game-world logic.

Have you ever played Shenmue? In order to enjoy the story you've got to constantly fight with a game logic that doesn't conform to real-world logic. If you do almost anything outside of the narrow confines of the story the seams start to show and the experience starts to fall apart. Shenmue shows the limitations of the video game more than most games simply because it's so ambitious that to fill in all of the seams would have taken more money, more time, and more effort than Sega could possibly ever spend.

The best example I can give is the neighbor's house. If you go to the neighbor's house in the morning and knock on the door. Ryo will say something to the effect of, "hmm. I guess noone's home." Go back that night and knock again. "Hmm. I guess noone's home." Go back the next day and stand in front of the house the entire day. Nobody is ever home! Take this same logic and move to the street. Follow someone around all day. They've all got a daily routine! They do certain things every morning, noon, and night. This seems to imply that exists is a fully realized world where things are always happening, but the logic is broken the instant you go next door (this is true of most buildings in the game, but it's most striking when it happens in such an easily accessible place)

It might seem like the above example is nitpicky, but it's an example of how telling a story usually suffers the moment you give the player a chance to give input. How could Shenmue have solved this? Well, like I've already said, they could have spent $5,000,000 more dollars and a few more years in development to get all the kinks out, but really the only solution is to remove the non-linearity. Force Ryo along a set path and the player will never notice any inconsistancies, but then we're stuck with nothing more than machinima with interactive game-scenes like most other games.

But back to the discussion from earlier. Can there be compelling games without combat? I'll address this by saying the following: Did you know that God of War was never really a best seller at all desipite its internet and critical praise? Think about that.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
We should look at best seller charts instead of the store shelves. I would bet that less than, or right around 50% of it is populated with games that are focused on killing. If we look at causal games that number might even triple. Puzzle games rarely involve violence.

First off, combat, not violence or killing. Ristar is about a star who headbutts things, Ecco is a dolphin that beaks jelly fish. Both are combat, neither are really violent. Now! Onto the chart:

Annual 2005 Top 10 Video Game Titles
Ranked by Units Sold
Code:
RANK  TITLE  PLATFORM  PUBLISHER  RELEASE DATE  ARP 
1  MADDEN NFL 06  PS2  ELECTRONIC ARTS  Aug-05  $46 
2  POKEMON EMERALD  GBA  NINTENDO OF AMERICA  Apr-05  $34 
3  GRAN TURISMO 4  PS2  SONY COMPUTER ENT.  Feb-05  $49 
4  MADDEN NFL 06  XBX  ELECTRONIC ARTS  Aug-05  $47 
5  NCAA FOOTBALL 06  PS2  ELECTRONIC ARTS  Jul-05  $48 
6  STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II  PS2  LUCASARTS  Nov-05  $47 
7  MVP BASEBALL 2005  PS2  ELECTRONIC ARTS  Feb-05  $29 
8  STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH  PS2  LUCASARTS  May-05  $47 
9  NBA LIVE 06  PS2  ELECTRONIC ARTS  Sep-05  $44 
10  LEGO STAR WARS  PS2  EIDOS  Mar-05  $37 

Source: The NPD Group / Point-of-Sale

So, ignoring Sports and Racing game, 100% of the games are combat related. I should also mention that the top two sports games are the most combative.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the sales! Turns out that I was right and I have been for the past 3 years at least:

2005 Video Games
1 MADDEN NFL 06 PS2 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-05 $46
2 POKEMON EMERALD GBA NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-05 $34
3 GRAN TURISMO 4 PS2 SONY COMPUTER ENT. Feb-05 $49
4 MADDEN NFL 06 XBX ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-05 $47
5 NCAA FOOTBALL 06 PS2 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-05 $48
6 STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II PS2 LUCASARTS Nov-05 $47
7 MVP BASEBALL 2005 PS2 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-05 $29
8 STAR WARS EPISODE III:REVENGE OF THE SITH PS2 LUCASARTS May-05 $47
9 NBA LIVE 06 PS2 ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-05 $44
10 LEGO STAR WARS PS2 EIDOS Mar-05 $37

2005 PC
1 World Of Warcraft Vivendi Universal Nov-04 $47
2 The Sims 2: University Expansion Pack Electronic Arts Feb-05 $33
3 The Sims 2 Electronic Arts Sep-04 $45
4 Guild Wars Ncsoft Apr-05 $48
5 Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Atari Oct-04 $30
6 Battlefield 2 Electronic Arts Jun-05 $48
7 The Sims 2 Nightlife Expansion Pack Electronic Arts Sep-05 $32
8 MS Age Of Empires III Microsoft Oct-05 $47
9 The Sims Deluxe Electronic Arts Sep-02 $19
10 Call Of Duty 2 Activision Oct-05 $46

2004 Video Games
1 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - PS2 - Take II Interactive
2 - Halo 2* - XBX - Microsoft
3 - Madden NFL 2005* - PS2 - Electronic Arts
4 - ESPN NFL 2K5 - PS2 - Take II Interactive
5 - Need For Speed: Underground 2 - PS2 - Electronic Arts
6 - Pokemon Fire Red W/ Adapter - GBA - Nintendo of America
7 - NBA Live 2005 - PS2 - Electronic Arts
8 - Spider-Man: The Movie 2 - PS2 - Activision
9 - Halo - XBX - Microsoft
10 - ESPN NFL 2K5 - XBX - Take II Interactive
*Includes Limited & Collector’s Editions

2003 Top 10 Console Video Game Titles By Units
1 - MADDEN NFL 2004 - PS2 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
2 - POKEMON RUBY - GBA - NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3 - POKEMON SAPPHIRE - GBA - NINTENDO OF AMERICA
4 - NEED SPEED: UNDERGROUND - PS2 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
5 - ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER - GCN - NINTENDO OF AMERICA
6 - GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE - PS2 - ROCKSTAR GAMES
7 - MARIO KART: DOUBLE - GCN - NINTENDO OF AMERICA
8 - TONY HAWK UNDERGROUND - PS2 - ACTIVISION
9 - ENTER THE MATRIX - PS2 - ATARI
10 - MEDAL HONOR RISING - PS2 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

2003 Top 10 PC Video Game Titles By Units
1 - THE SIMS: SUPERSTAR EXPANSION PACK - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS
2 - THE SIMS DELUXE - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS
3 - COMMAND & CONQUER: GENERALS - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 - WARCRAFT III: FROZEN THRONE EXPANSION PACK - WIN - VIVENDI
5 - THE SIMS: MAKIN' MAGIC EXPANSION PACK - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 - THE SIMS: UNLEASHED EXPANSION PACK - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS
7 - SIM CITY 4 - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS
8 - CALL OF DUTY - WIN - ACTIVISION
9 - MS AGE OF MYTHOLOGY - WIN - MICROSOFT
10 - BATTLEFIELD 1942 - WIN - ELECTRONIC ARTS

2003 seems to have been a pretty violent year!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how can we ignore sports and racing games?! They're a majority of the games that are sold! Let's ignore action and RPG games. Now there's not a single violent game in existance.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we count sports games, we need to count them as combat games.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I had already said that most sports games were combat related anyways. Also Mario Kart: DD is the most combat oriented racing game I can think of off hand.

The large amount of sims games on those lists really scares me.

Also everyone knows PC games don't count. HA!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Then we also have to disregard all adventure games where a sword, gun, or knife is present.

There goes King's Quest, Myst, Riven, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Zork, Grim Fandango, Animal Crossing, and pretty much every other Adventure game in existance.

I get your point, but the anti-sports thing has more to do with personal preference than anything else. Even sports that are known for their violence usually have very few injuries.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Then we also have to disregard all adventure games where a sword, gun, or knife is present.

There goes King's Quest, Myst, Riven, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Zork, Grim Fandango, Animal Crossing, and pretty much every other Adventure game in existance.

those games aren't concerned with combat, though. whereas i'd argue ea big bucks i hate programmers mediocrity football 19/20XX is, in fact, concerned with a kind or simulacrum of combat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't anything where opposition exists necessitate combat to some extent?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Animal Crossing? Anyways, the point I was trying to make was that even the least combat related games have it. Which goes back to the start of the topic.

And, did you really play Myst? That has none of those. I can't speak for Riven in total, but so far none of those are present. Baseball and Golf (yes, frolf too) are arguably non-combat.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
And, did you really play Myst? That has none of those. I can't speak for Riven in total, but so far none of those are present. Baseball and Golf (yes, frolf too) are arguably non-combat.

gamefaqs wrote:

======================
EXPLORING THE FORTRESS
======================
• Weapons: There are weapons littered everywhere. Maces and crossbows are
hung on a rack, swords decorate the wall, an axe next to the throne, and
large poles are strewn across the floor.

And Animal Crossing has a Samurai Sword that you can get for your house.

OKSOIWASSTRETCHINGITSOWHAT!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps there's a conflation between combat and conflict/competition that need not be?

Quote:
Doesn't anything where opposition exists necessitate combat to some extent?

The War of All Against All!

edit: track and field...etc. you can't really call sports combat, with the exception of boxing and other martial arts. football and even rugby/garlic football are too polite for such a label.

then again, using my particular semiotic warfare framework, nearly everything we do is combat, including checkers and this post. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videogames all have literary elements therefore at this immature stage they all need combat. If you think Phoenix Wright is not combat, you have never seen a high school policy debate tournament. This discussion is so simple it hurts my head.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the difference between bleeding on the outside and bleeding on the inside.

those who have bled on the outside know the difference.

p.s. grasshopper!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
This discussion is so simple it hurts my head.

Which is what makes it so hard!

It's a slow week too.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the villian in riven weilds a a poison dart rifle.

and there's a large amount of torture devices and weaponry hidden away in the original myst. however, these are not combat games because at no point do you (the player) actually engage anyone in combat (which is distinguished from violence).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the pedestrian definition of combat, then, yeah, not all games need combat. The player character does not need a sword to deal damage. Guns and ammunition do not have to be found. Heads do not have to be roundhoused. But, come on folks, we're talking about videogames. No matter what there is going to be some sort of struggle. There is going to be some sort of challenge to the player. Even in a game like Electroplankton, there's a conflict to be resolved between the state of the game and the player's will. It'd be Schaupenhauerian if it weren't Nietzschian.

That's actually kind of an important difference.

_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, now it's just going to be a semantic argument : (

Was someone saying that games will exist without any kind of struggle? Wouldn't that preclude interaction?
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one defined combat in any significant way.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

combat is violent.

competition is non-violent.

the aim of both is for the will of one to supercede the will of "the other." but there's plenty of ways to talk about/demonstrate competition (or conflict, if you like). katamari comes to mind.

at least, that's the definition i'm rolling with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
combat is violent.

dessgeega wrote:
combat (which is distinguished from violence).

No one is going to agree what defines combat. At the very least it means some sort of opposition. It could be between two subjects, one subject and itself, etc. From there, yeah, you can add a bunch of modifiers (like violent) to the kind of opposition you are looking at, but none of them are of any substance.

Unless, of course, you want to see "if games have any value without violence?". Which, although admirable, is quite silly because the answer is, "duh, yes".

_Marcel Duchamp
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what I was getting at is that even if we take the typical Zelda type setting and have a big bad enemy, we don't need to have fighting with sticks / guns / bombs / arrows as the ****main**** type of interaction.

I think we can now combine repetitive actions with non-repetitive contexts, ie. interesting subquests. Ie. Using the same action (carry) in different contexts ie. next to bricks would allow you to help build the tower that the wizard needs to study in.

The nearest I can think of as a way to explain what I am getting at is We Heart Katamari, and Warioware.

Ie. We can give the player several basic abilties but that can be combined in interesting ways, and then give them lots of quests that change the parameters of the challenge. Ie. In one section you are rolling boulders up a hill to help block off the mountain pass that is being invaded, in the next you have to stack blocks Tetris style to make a tower, in the next you need to prevent the rolling boulders from stopping the beavers make a dam. Each of these games would tie in with the "story".

Ie. Each section has you do similar things but with enough twists to them to make each challenge fresh. (Thus avoiding the need for hit big enemies with sticks). Thus when you complete the game you see each action that you have done and look back at how it affected the bigger picture. Each mission would have a reason for its existance.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously. Harvest Moon, Lost in Blue, Guitar Hero, etc. all do it. But what's the point in a making a game specifically eliminating fighting sequences?

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No one is going to agree what defines combat.

well, if everyone would just listen to me and do what i tell them, they would.

check and mate.

Quote:
But what's the point in a making a game specifically eliminating fighting sequences?

finding new ways to create tension?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
But what's the point in a making a game specifically eliminating fighting sequences?

finding new ways to create tension?

Trauma Center: Under the Knife does a really excellent job of this. I have never felt the same kind of tension in a game before. It is not quite combat either, it is ... interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: