The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dessgeega loves her saturn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: dessgeega loves her saturn. Reply with quote

yes. i just replaced the battery on my new saturn and i thought this would be a good time to ruminate upon the many virtues of the newest addition to my family.

virtue number one is probably layer section. this is probably one of the best arcade conversions i've ever played (in addition to being one of the greatest shooters ever made). it makes me a lot happier than, say, the taito best port of strikers part II, where i keep involuntarily continuing when i game over. currently i can one-credit to area 4, "the fissure of consciousness".

it turns out that i can't play dodonpachi on my saturn though. i think it's because my television is so small, whereas i can play it just fine on my large computer monitor in mame.

there also seem to be lots of secret treasures on the saturn. thus far i've discovered necronomicon, but i'm sure there are many more waiting for me. feel free to suggest what games those might be. i do really want to play blast wind, but blast wind is quite rare and quite expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I loved my Saturn, I actually didn't own that many games for it (between 15 and 20, three of which the games that came with the Saturn so they don't really count). They were pretty much all games I figured a lot of people have, so I probably don't know much about the cool lesser known games. NiGHTs and Sonic Jam are essentials though, and I was particularly fond of Albert Odyssey and Astal.

I've always wanted Burning Rangers. I remember reading a magazine article on it and really liking the art, so much so that I drew my own little spinoff art. I never owned it though.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to unpack the 'ol saturn and play a few things to make sure I remember everything correctly, but for now i'm going to be be obvious and agree that yes, Nights is pretty great.
ALSO PRO PINBALL
Also, Panzer Dragoon Zwei?
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had a few games for my Saturn. These were the ones that were GOLDEN:
-Guardian Heroes
-Nights into Dreams
-X-mas Nights into Dreams
-Saturn Bomberman
-Sonic Jam
-Puzzle Fighter
-Robo Pit (which was also a PS game)
-Silhouette Mirage
-Burning Rangers
-Fighters Megamix
-Nightwarriors: Darkstalker's Revenge
-Virtual On
-Shining Force III

Games I wanted to play:
-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Astal
-Clockwork Knight 2
-Virtua Fighter Kids
-Dragon Force

You know, I'm going to Ebay Astal and Clockwork Knight 2 right now!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must buy Daytona for the music alone.

I'd also recommend all of the aforementioned games, as well as Super Puzzle Fighter (Same as PS1 version), Baku Baku, Clockwork Knight 1, Assault Suit Leynos 2, Metal Slug (only perfect non-Neo Cart version!), D&D Collection, Fighting Vipers (J-Version), Night Warriors (it's my favorite in the series), Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend (Side Pocket with FMV), and Bug (maybe).

I'll add more later!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Later!

Dark Savior, House of the Dead (It's ugly, but I like it better than 2), Legend of Oasis (By Yuzo Koshiro's Team Ancient), Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, Segata Sanshiro (ok, this kind of sucks, but it's good to have!), and Shining and the Holy Arc (Shining in the Darkness sequel... with automap!).

I'd also like to add that Panzer Dragoon Saga was well worth the price ($50 at launch), and I'd pay it again. It's one of the few ambitious original games I've played that actually works well and I don't think there's been anything released since that has attempted anything even close to it. It ruined Panzer Dragoon Orta for me, but it was worth it.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a North American Saturn today for cheap. Hmm... I'm not even that hot for one, but every six months I see one, and think that I should pick it up...
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at all a fan of fighting games, do yourself a favor and get Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Zero 3. By the power of the 4MB RAM cart, both games run silky-smooth on the Saturn. SFZ3 is a bit pricy, but not only is it an awesome collector's piece, but the Saturn port easily beats out all the other console editions - the only way you'd get a more authentic Zero 3 experience is if you picked up the CPS2 or NAOMI versions.

In lieu of the spendy SFZ3, get Street Fighter Zero 2. It can be had easily for $15 or less with shipping, and is almost as awesome as the third installment.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nights i've always been curious about and i definitely intend to play it. tell me truly - will i need the analog controller? zwei i want to play too.

i reached area 5 of layer section today for the first time.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You must buy Daytona for the music alone.

If someone doesn't have Daytona, I will trade them for any other Saturn game.

I want to love my Saturn, but I also want to not eBay my collection. Ends up that means I have Daytona and nothing else. It's criminal!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
will i need the analog controller?

No. You'll be fine without it. Playing Nights without the Analog controller is like playing Mario 64 on the DS. It's totally doable and the only thing you're really missing is the novelty of first-time analog controls. If you do get the analog controller though, it does work on a few other games including Panzer Dragoon and Daytona: Champion Edition (which otherwise sucks).

PROTIP: Put Daytona (or most other Saturn games) into either a standard CD player or the Saturn dashboard and you can listen to the music without playing the game! Blue, blue skies I see!

-Wes
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
PROTIP: Put Daytona (or most other Saturn games) into either a standard CD player or the Saturn dashboard and you can listen to the music without playing the game! Blue, blue skies I see!

This is true for nearly all Saturn games.
I bought my copy of Nights before I had a Saturn! I listened to the cd for two months, wondering what kind of game it would be. I wasn't disappointed!

Also, I think you should try and get the Analog pad too. It makes the experience different and a bit easier on the thumb, I think. But don't get it if it's too expensive!!

Also, someone TOTALLY needs to give me Clockwork Knight 2. TOTALLY.

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought a Saturn today.

I decided to wait until I had a job.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Also, Panzer Dragoon Zwei?

I just got my first saturn last year. It came with Zwei and Daytona. Guys, as a racing game Daytona really sucks, take off the rosy toned goggles (although the comments are purely music related so far). Zwei on the other hand is fantastic. Really I am shocked at how good it is. I don't know why either. I have huge problems with the aesthetic apeal of 32bit 3D (ie: I hate it), but Zwei is good despite this.

After I bought my Saturn I realised that most of the "good" games are either A: too expensive or B: ported to the PS1 anyways. I am always looking for something good and cheap though. Really, I feel that the PCE Duo was a much better purchase (as I got my first last year as well). In fact I may just play my Duo later today now that I have recovered it from hell (New Orleans).

Wes: Without splitting hairs, Metal Slug is not perfect, but damn close. Much more than the PS1 version.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wes: Without splitting hairs, Metal Slug is not perfect, but damn close. Much more than the PS1 version.

Split hairs, please! My comment was based on hearsay. Actually, my first experience with the Metal Slug series was the Saturn version and I love it. I'd like to know how the arcade was different.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Split hairs, please!

The enemy yells are off, the explosions are more pixilated and missing ... something, missing a few sounds, the color pallet is slightly off, and the only thing most people will notice is the slowdown. Aside from the slowdown everything else is very nit-picky.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so saturn bomberman, eh?

i mean, i only have one controller, but wide mode tiny-sprite bomberman is something special. watching pc genjin tromp around dropping bombs is pretty fun too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently imported Puyo Puyo Sun along with a 6-player adapter (for 6 player battles in Guardian Heroes!) from estarland.com. I was a little skeptical about this shop, but they proved to be reliable. They get some pretty good stuff in from time to time.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought...my genny 3, i think? from estarland.

it didn't come with a power adaptor, despite the adaptor being mentioned in the item description. and i had to track one down myself.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got NiGHTS and Xmas NiGHTS for a combined total of $14... they are the Japanese version, though I have been told that dosen't really matter. Actually, the only US Saturn games I have are Darius Gaiden and Fighting Vipers (neither of which I have actually played),

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sega Rally holds a special place in my heart. I can still play that game for hours on end. I tend to keep my Saturn disconnected because it's such a distraction. With Gun Griffon, Sega Rally, Astal, and, one of my all-time favorites, Street Fighter Alpha 2 it's just too much.

One disappointment is that my copy of Shining the Holy Ark freezes. I was really getting into it, too. My copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga randomly messes up, so I'm afraid to invest any time in it since doing so would mean I would be out however much it's going for on eBay.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper play some Fighting Vipers. You can totally knock people off buildings with guitars!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
You can totally knock people off buildings with guitars!

!!!! Damn! It is up in St. Louis.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should play the Japanese version. In this version you can knock people off of buildings with guitars as Pepsiman!

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just unlocked most of the characters in Fighter's Megamix today. Being able to play as the Daytona Hornet is outrageously novel (with a surprising amount of detail but into the modeling and animation!) but damn if the thing couldn't have used a few more moves - I can only account for literally 5 or 6, incuding the throw! I also seem to prefer the game with the Hyper/VF switches turned on.

PD Zwei has been sitting on my shelf for a while now but I'm being stubborn about playing it past the first stage until I get around to finishing the orginal (seriously attempted once, but ate it on the stage with the grass field). Then on to Orta, and maybe Saga if a some girl I'm aquainted with who attends the other anime club on my campus feels like lending it to me.

Say, Shaper, where did you pick up X-mas Nights JP for so cheap? I probably just haven't looked hard enough, but the US version is definitely out of the question.

Also, does anyone know if language plays a real crucial role in Burning Rangers? It's cheaper to import but I know that you get audio commands in-game, so yeah.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty important. All your objectives are given aurally and there's no map or subtitles.

Also, RE: Fighters Megamix: There's a way to play as the AM2 palm tree, but I only didn't it once by accident and can't tell you how it happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: