The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What moves you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: What moves you? Reply with quote

This should probably be in an Ebert/Art gaming thread, but I think it deserves its own space. Games are often criticized for not being as "moving" as movies, music, or books. Alright, I'm down with that, but what is moving? What movies, books, and/or music has moved you recently? Name a specific scene in a movie or a specific song that is emotionally compelling and, if possible, explain what it is about that moving experience that can't be replicated in an interactive environment.

I want to mention King Kong here, and possibly even compare it to SotC, but I'll hold out until the thread gets a few responses.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only moving experience I get in a videogame is thrill. Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, Resident Evil 4: Mercenaries, drifting in Outrun 2, that one decline in R4...

Other media is a little different. I read the The Emperor series by Conn Igulden. Caesar is inspiring, especially in that bit of historical fiction. A lot of music excites me: Lightning Bolt, Death From Above, Thunderbirds are Now! Emo used to help me, well, be emo. Especially Weezer's Pinkerton. But, well, that was kind of shallow and it's hard for me to be moved by that anymore.

Here's something else that moved me: Hotel Rwanda. It's honest tragedy. You are drawn in by the characters. You don't necessarily identify with them, but you become connected. And then... well, yeah.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What moves you? Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Name a specific scene in a movie or a specific song that is emotionally compelling and, if possible, explain what it is about that moving experience that can't be replicated in an interactive environment.

That is a dumb question. If any person can pinpoint a moment or reason to why they were moved by anything ... I don't know, but I will do something. There is a culmination of things that lead up to being moved. If you are instantly swept off your feet by any one thing you are an empty shell of a person. Things need to build and culminate.

Please don't bring King Kong into this.

Also I was not moved by Silent Hill 2 until the end of the second time I played it and it was due to the build up and exploration that I had with it. I cried in the fictional sequence of the Father being carried to the lake at the end of Big Fish because of the struggle and over coming of differences he had with his son and what it resulted in. None of these are specific, they are general and the exact thing that set if off, hell, that is impossible to locate with out a broad generality.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What moves you? Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
That is a dumb question. If any person can pinpoint a moment or reason to why they were moved by anything ... I don't know, but I will do something.

Shapermc wrote:
I cried in the fictional sequence of the Father being carried to the lake at the end of Big Fish

You totally have to do something now. You proved yourself wrong by saying something could not be done and then doing it in the subsequent paragraph.

Also: King Kong was amazing. But I love anything and everything that Peter Jackson does. Yes, that includes Forgotten Silver.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Dead Alive?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially Dead Alive.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who doesn't like dead alive?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What moves you? Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Who doesn't like dead alive?

I kick ass for the Lord!

SuperWes wrote:
You totally have to do something now. You proved yourself wrong by saying something could not be done and then doing it in the subsequent paragraph.

No, you missed what I was saying. If I were to just show you that sequence of the movie you would look at me funny. Hell you might even find that section of the movie funny. The specific is pointless with out the whole.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If any person can pinpoint a moment or reason to why they were moved by anything ... I don't know, but I will do something.

anytime i read about human horror on a mass scale - communism, for example - i am profoundly moved by the greater horror of being the small against the great. the pattern of the controller breaking the controlled - out of spite - as a prelude to murdering them (think auto de fe, confessions under stalin, the cultural revolution, etc) is part of a larger pattern which is deeply horrifying, going beyond mere "individualism" into something along the lines of the horror i imagine catholics feel when considering abortion. (though for obviously different reasons)

it's not empathy, because i cannot empathize with such extreme situations, having never been even remotely close to one. it's not self-pity, because i'm in no such danger. it's not altruism because there's no one to help. it might be self-centeredness or selfishness, except i don't feel sick for my sake or for those i care about. it's because of what i first mentioned - the great controlling the small.

is that specific enough?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
is that specific enough?

Yea, see thats good. Just saying "That part with all the burning jews in Schindler's List" is not.
IceTyger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared shitless of the unknown. I'm also afraid of the dark, but this really only really manifests in video games. Black headcrabs, weird yet fairly silent monsters, and terrorists in de_nuke all scare the piss out of me at times, which usually leads to me throwing whatever ordinance I've got in every which direction, followed by my imminent demise.

But all that really only affects survival horror and first-person shooters. In shooting games (horizontal or vertical, either or), I tend to play until I get into some sort of zone, where the bullets don't matter and I'm actually able to do something besides die stupidly. Most of the time I just get a huge headache and suck.

DDR tends to move me. Or maybe it's the other way around.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing the point of this thread Shaper. I never implied taking things out of their contexts, I only implied that by searching for a common denominator between the things that move us we can maybe discover something that video games could possibly do to give us similar experiences.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, basically, my half life 2 piece?
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the relentless churning of the all-consuming engine of capitalism terrifies me.

also, paranoia for the pc-engine fills me with fear. i've never even actually encountered a monster in that game; just wandering the mazelike corridors, knowing a monster MIGHT POP OUT became too stressful, and i turned the game off. i think had i actually encountered a monster the game would have become much less scary to me.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash the four olds! Cut of the head of the seventh snake! All reactionary forces are paper tigers!

Anyway, can't the question of this thread, essentially, be answered by reading any random issue of the Gamer's Quarter?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, can't the question of this thread, essentially, be answered by reading any random issue of the Gamer's Quarter?

the win.

yeah, basically. if that wasn't the intended point of TGQ, that's at least part of what it has become.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:

Interesting.... So now the Gamer's Quarter is about what parts of movies and music move you?

-Wes
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake.

I didn't read the beginning of the thread. I got distracted by dhex talking about those kwazy kommies and Shaper talking about Jews or dinosaurs or something like that.

I thought the question was:

Quote:
I think you're missing the point of this thread Shaper. I never implied taking things out of their contexts, I only implied that by searching for a common denominator between the things that move us we can maybe discover something that video games could possibly do to give us similar experiences.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewish dinosaurs let me ride
let me ride

anyway, yeah, i thought that was the question.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What moves you? Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I cried in the fictional sequence of the Father being carried to the lake at the end of Big Fish because of the struggle and over coming of differences he had with his son and what it resulted in.

Whew, glad I wasn't the only one who did that.

You make a really good point though, that the act of 'being moved' isn't dependent on a single moment or scene. As an easily accessable example, take the death of Aeris in Final Fantasy VII. (Possible spoiler? Yes. However, if there really exists anyone out there who's either never played FFVII or has never once heard of the scene... Well, that's totally not my fault.) True, the scene is slightly sad in its own right, but the full impact doesn't hit home unless the viewer has played through disc 1 and come to know Aeris as a character within the narrative. A literary example would be Orwell's 1984: you can read the last few pages and think, "Hey, that sucks," but it's only after reading the entire story of Winston's struggle against the influence of Big Brother that the reader will grasp the true signifcance of the end - and unless you're an unfeeling android, you will most likely be depressed or pissed off.

Dessgeega brought up a good point too: the player's expectation of what should happen in the game can affect how they are 'moved' by it. Take as an example one of my favorite games, Fatal Frame. If you throw a player into a battle with a ghost, they'll obviously pick up on the creepy atmosphere of the game through the sound and visuals. Fatal Frame, as anyone who's played it can attest, relies almost exclusively on its atmosphere to scare the player, and after a half-hour wandering alone through the creepy mansion, the player's liable to soil themselves when they finally open a door to find a ghost waiting on the other side. It's that psychological buildup, the constant waiting for something to pop out at you and then getting even more nervous when nothing does, that makes the game so creepy. Again - it's not a single scene or event that causes this reaction, but an extended exposure to the game elements which all work in tandem to eventually (hopefully) evoke a proper emotional response from the player.
xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building on previous experience seems to be the running theme so far. Whether it's empathy with an entirely in-game entity or tying in to poignant memories and feelings from one's own past, my reaction to a media-type stimulus depends greatly on the depth of my point of reference.

However, I hesitate to lump non-empathic stimuli under the same heading. The bits of my brain that do fear, anger, triumph and the like aren't the parts that cried over Big Fish and Spiderman 2. Those more primal responses are generally much easier to evoke than emotive reactions, at least if we're to judge by what's available on the market these days. I wish I were more qualified to talk shop about neurological wiring, 'cause I have a feeling it would answer some of these questions straight out.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buses.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceTyger wrote:
I'm also afraid of the dark, but this really only really manifests in video games.

So the original Metroid... what does that do fo you?
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpsons roasting on an open fire:

Homer expects to get a Xmas bonus, but Mr. Burns cancels it. Marge spends all their saved money on removing a I heart Mother tattoo from Bart's arm. Homer can't tell the family that he won't get a bonus (manly pride) and because he doesn't want them to have a bad Xmas. Homer takes a crappy job to try and get some money.. it doesn't work out though... etc.

I look forward to seeing this kind of thing in games, but it wouldn't work because the essential element here is that of feelings, Homer loves his family, it wouldn't be the same with the gamer in the driving seat.
B coma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here since I have only watched it be played for an hour or so, but do you think that something like the aforementioned Simpsons episode could be incorporated into a Fable-esque environment? In the sense that a similiar scenario could be scripted in to the game, but also totally avoidable should the player choose not to respond as a caring family member.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
buses.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

during the transit strike, no less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: