The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should kids play games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: should kids play games? Reply with quote

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/portable-consoles/gift-should-kids-play-games-143639.php

while i think some of her concerns are a bit strained - i.e. as these children grow the internet is going to be omnipresent - she does have some good points. i don't know if kids benefit that much from games as compared to other skills, outside of those few who develop enough cs or art/design interest/aptitude to turn fun into a useful set of tools at some point in their lives down the road.

Quote:
n addition, I am wrestling with whether or not I should give my daughter a DS at age EIGHT or whether I should wait until she is ten. In America in 2005, that just about makes me some sort of fanatic, crank, or luddite when most parents are letting their kids watch “Revenge of the Sith” or “Bride of Chucky” at age 2 and most kids have their own televisions in their rooms by age 5 (to go along with the three or four other televisions and videoscreens in the house and in the car).

outside of the craziness of having a tv in your car (what the fuck?) she makes a very strong point about the assumptions and attitudes. parents do seem to be bigger fuckups now than, say, 10 years ago. some of this is, no doubt, the "damn kids these days syndrome" or DKTD syndrome, where as you grow old everyone else seems like a fucking retard or something, but somewhere in there is the spectre of unknown consequences.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videogames are healthier for children than commercial television.

discuss!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was fairly obvious. Participation and whatnot.

Our family's second van had a tv in it. Very useful for long summer trips or rides down to grandmother's house. distances suddenly become much, much longer in the midwest.

edit: I knew a kid who watched r-rated movies when he was five. he had a gameboy when he was in third grade. He's an asshole now. Does that help?
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's definitely an eye opening article, and I totally agree with her. But I also think that it's okay as long as you're a good parent. Buying your kid a DS when they are 7 is good as long as you limit it. Making your kid get plenty of sleep, do their homework, and play outside, is what being a good parent is. Those that put their kids in front of the TV, buy them all sorts of toys just to keep their kids out of their hair ... those are the parents I hate. I can only hope I marry somebody this intelligent in insightful so when I have kids I don't accidently turn them into a Media zombie.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
I can only hope I marry somebody this intelligent in insightful so when I have kids I don't accidently turn them into a Media zombie.

this is so hard for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media with a capital M!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would pay 20 bucks to see an off broadway comedy about ryan and dess sharing an apartment. and i hate the theatre.

edit: upon some reflection, in this most work-less of weekends, if someone offered me the chance to speak two extra languages or something of that nature and heft in exchange for every moment i ever spent with a game, i'd trade up in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... two typos in that last post of mine. I wrote "in" instead of "and", and I capitalized that M . . .. Japan is doing funny things to me. I get dumber all the time.

And what would that theatre drama be called? "The Odd Couple: I'll Fucking Kill You!" ????
IceTyger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apartment must be eternally on fire, also.

Limiting game-time and making sure all the important things get done seems like a pretty good way to raise a kid, I think. My mom always just let me run rampant, so I got into this really bad habit of ignoring homework and hanging around playing games all the damn time. Now I'm in college, where learning is fucking important, and I can barely keep myself interested in my studying and all.

Actually, it's funny, I have a final tomorrow and I'm playing Live A Live instead of maybe reading two chapters of Nakama 2 that weren't discussed at all in class but happen to be on the final.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what would that theatre drama be called?

Supercollider.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is very important to remember that children are not homogenous, that they are very much individuals, even at a young age. What is right for one child is not necessarily going to be right for another. My friend Andres and I were raised in very different ways, in two very different countries, and yet we are strikingly similar. Outside of trauma (divorce, abuse, etc), I believe that parents have very little direct influence on their child's personality.

That having been said, I completely understand why the guy is not getting his daughter a DS, because he's her father and he probably knows her pretty well. As far as him knowing other people's kids, and what is acceptable for them, that's less likely.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a little dangerous to make judgements about how other people should raise their children. I acknowledge that there are a lot of terrible parents out there (hell I'm related to some of them), but there are also a lot of parents that simply have a different approach, and kids that have different needs.

Perhaps this response was a little longer than the topic warranted. I was brought up in a somewhat 'alternative' way and maybe I'm a little sensitive.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get dumber all the time.

it just keeps getting harder and harder.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
I think that it is very important to remember that children are not homogenous, that they are very much individuals, even at a young age. What is right for one child is not necessarily going to be right for another. My friend Andres and I were raised in very different ways, in two very different countries, and yet we are strikingly similar. Outside of trauma (divorce, abuse, etc), I believe that parents have very little direct influence on their child's personality.

I think that's true, but dependent on the basic personality (genetically defined disposition, maybe?) of the child. I think my father has influenced me more than any other person I know, in more ways than one. No trauma involved.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
I get dumber all the time.

it just keeps getting harder and harder.

Sometimes reading here at TGQ just makes me smile and smile.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawtooth, I'm not saying that parents don't have a lot of influence, I'm just saying that it's mostly the indirect kind. I'm a lot like my father as well, but not because of the things he did or didn't allow me to do, just because I observed him for so many years.

Then again, I don't know your situation. Do you think that you're like your father because he consiously tried to shape you to be like him?
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
iif someone offered me the chance to speak two extra languages or something of that nature and heft in exchange for every moment i ever spent with a game, i'd trade up in a heartbeat.
You should take classes. Level 1 college japanese was academically and intellectually the most rewarding thing I'd ever done. It's not too late!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
That having been said, I completely understand why the guy is not getting his daughter a DS, because he's her father and he probably knows her pretty well. As far as him knowing other people's kids, and what is acceptable for them, that's less likely.

This is what my comments on the topic were going to boil down to. I don't think that I would get a child an MMO myself, but Nintendo went through some pretty big hoops to not allow sikos into your kids DS (i.e. Animal Crossing needs both parties to have the friend code and town in their cart, not just one). I also think that hit helps kids with reading more than anything else, but his daughter loves books, so did I, not a problem for him.

I was actually thinking about this while I was playing Animal Crossing last that since all the numbers and letters speak when you press them that it would be a pretty good teaching tool for kids who are still having a few problems. Example, you get your kid to like the game, then you go and chat with them in thier town. When ever the kid tries to spell something (and if you have the volume up enough they will hear you when you are spelling stuff) it just routes that brain pattern more quickly. This is of course if you are willing to go there.

Also the comment the person made about how nobody defends their claims about video games being adventageous, well I put a post on the TGQ LJ about this recently: http://www.livejournal.com/community/gamersquarter/3880.html

EDIT: I just clicked on that link, and of all places it originates from PBS, the original email writers television channel of choice.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
EDIT: I just clicked on that link, and of all places it originates from PBS, the original email writers television channel of choice.
Are you suggesting some sort of left wing public broadcasting conspiracy?!

This thread needs What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning And Literacy
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
This thread needs What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning And Literacy

Also linked to on that article I linked to... and stuff. But yea, I asked for that book for christmas. I never get the books I ask for for christmas for some reason.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
Sawtooth, I'm not saying that parents don't have a lot of influence, I'm just saying that it's mostly the indirect kind. I'm a lot like my father as well, but not because of the things he did or didn't allow me to do, just because I observed him for so many years.

Then again, I don't know your situation. Do you think that you're like your father because he consiously tried to shape you to be like him?

Oh, I just misunderstood you. Sorry. I'm like my father because he was my role model, and that's part of what he was trying to be. He really made no effort to shape me or form my personality, likes/dislikes, etc.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point, which is that what good parents understand is that the most important part of parenting is being a good role model.
wourme

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have noticed that the children who have spent the most time with television often think and create narratives or artwork using cartoon, game, or comic book characters. They don’t create their own characters or stories. They simply relate an episode or game experience. It wasn’t always that way. At their earliest ages they would create wild epics with wonderfully imaginative original characters. As they grew older, the stories would inevitably become a retelling of Scooby Doo or Spiderman. It saddens me to see them begin so creatively and slowly evolve into mere consumers.

When I first read the article, this part really stood out to me. I'd hate to do anything that would influence a kid to be uncreative. But, thinking about it, and I had plenty of toys and things that were set in a defined world (such as Star Wars and He-Man figures, tons of books, and I think even that superhero underwear that looks like a costume). I saw cartoons and movies that went along with those things, but I don't think I normally played as if I or my toys were those specific characters, let alone replays of specific stories I'd seen. Legos were by far my favorite toys, and I really disliked the pieces that forced you to build certain things. (I understand they have become much worse this way in later years.)

I'm not sure that exposure to other peoples' art necessarily leads to uncreativity. It can use up time better spent being creative for sure (one of the reasons I haven't watched TV in years), but it seems that a mind that wants to be creative will do so and will use good and bad influences to refine ideas.

On the other hand, I can't really use my own experience to argue this because, although we had a TV when I was very young, we didn't watch it much until I was at least in kindergarten. My parents just didn't care about any shows so it was rarely on, and we preferred legos and playing outside anyway.

I've thought before that it would be interesting when I have kids to have a game console around when they are fairly young, but only an old one such as NES or SNES. Regardless, I don't plan to ever have my TV pick up channels again--for the rare show worth watching, it's so much nicer to see it on DVD.

Okay, I didn't actually make much of a point here. But I'm going to post this anyway.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up, my parents would occasionally be concerned about the amount of time I was spending on the computer. Much of it was wasted, sure, but some of it was really healthy. At some level, I think my parents recognized that, but I still really detested being told I was spending too much time "on the computer" -- it was more complicated than that.

It's a little irksome that all videogames are being painted with the same brush, here. Putting a kid in front of Mario Paint is different than putting that kid in front of Halo Barbie Horse Racing, just like putting a kid in front of The Merch is different than putting that kid in front of PBS. I can't imagine putting Electroplankton into the hands of any kid having a negative effect.

Also, the author of this letter: man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Putting a kid in front of Mario Paint is different than putting that kid in front of Halo Barbie Horse Racing,

Ohhhh, I'd totally buy that game if they made it! Is Barbie and her countless friends playing the part of the Convenant (was that what the bad guys were called? Been a while since I played . .. ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: