The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes a bad (or mediocre) game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

The action doesn't vary enough (overly repetitive).

Too hard and frustrating (not enough checkpoints? can't save progress).

Seen it all before. (Lack of inspiration)

Poor controls.

Any other main factors?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

igarashi directed it.

I KID. I KID.

(maybe.)

insulting the player's intelligence can often make a good game mediocre. (see mario vs donkey kong, recent zeldas.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unthinking acceptence of genre conventions. Not to say that a good game is neccessarily different for the sake of breaking convention, but that the developers are clearly thinking critically about these conventions when they make it.

Also, interesting art direction can really seperate a game from the pack. This one is pretty important for me.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing. You bring out a Jak and Daxter type game, then in the same month you have 5 more just like it (even if they are great games), you just screwed yourself as a game company.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting question: Somewhere out there, possibly in homebrew-land, is there an Ed Wood of videogame designers?

The only person who comes to mind is the guy who did the Johnny series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complex controls can destroy a game. When you are using almost every button on the controller for a different function you designed the game wrong. You aparently designed a game for a keyboard or special controller and failed at designing a console game.

If you have locked controls (i.e. you can't swap a and b) that can ruin a game.

If the game is long and you can't skip dialogue it can ruin it. This is especially true if you have to watch a 5 min cut scene before a difficult battle every time (FFX).

Then just opinions on content.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the only thing that matters at all in game design is pacing. Every other possible issue is either the cause of or result of poor pacing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Here's an interesting question: Somewhere out there, possibly in homebrew-land, is there an Ed Wood of videogame designers?

have you played urban yeti?
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! I keep meaning to and then forget.

I've just left several memos to myself, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed by your citation of Spartalacus, ApM. I would also recommend tapeworm/clysm's Johnny's Odessy.

I share a birthdate with Ed Wood.

Also, it happens that you have an easier time making a non-mediocre game when you're establishing a new genre. This is because the expecations aren't there; you're not competing with lots of existing big-budget titles. I'd say an interesting concept can ease a lack of production value.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popularity can turn a mediocre game into a bad game in my eyes. I wonder how that works?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take it personally I guess? Overrated things seems to rub many people the wrong way.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:

Poor controls.

Any other main factors?

No no no no no no no no no NO NO NO.

We really need to stop thinking along these lines if we're ever going to get out of the conceptual rut that we've been in.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
We really need to stop thinking along these lines if we're ever going to get out of the conceptual rut that we've been in.

Okay! Please elaborate, I think I know what you mean.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Ketch wrote:

Poor controls.

Any other main factors?

I disagree with Toups on a basic level, but I can agree with his statement under the argument that difficulty, repetition, reiteration, and control issues can be a part of what defines a game and makes the overall experience when the designer actually puts thought into these things. See: Silent Hill.

That said, I don't think you can make the blanket statement that the things he mentioned don't ruin games without explaining what it REALLY is that makes someone feel like they are what ruined the game for them.

I do agree with Ketch that the things he mentions can lower a game to mediocrity, but mainly because in many cases these are the things that disrupt the pacing of the game. Take control for an example. If you spend most of your time struggling with the controls it will ruin the flow of the game and cause whatever it is to seem like a bad game because of the controls. It isn't really the controls themselves that turn you off, it's that the controls don't work well within the context of the game. Silent Hill has bad control, but because the game's pacing allows for bad control it doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

Difficulty, repetition, and reiteration issues and how they relate to pacing should be fairly self explanitory.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes a bad (or mediocre) game is usually nothing more than personal perception.

Unless we're talking about Nanobreaker or something like that.

Toups is just fighting the good fight for a more holistic approach to looking at and thinking about games. Stop trying to break it down into chunks because it just doesn't work that way. Unless you work at IGN.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mediocre games are usually incomplete or incohesive imitations of good games. Something central is copied (like a basic gameplay mode), but other, usually subtler, elements are dropped and not compensated for.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mediocre games are usually carbon copies of other games. Which is why DQ8 is an anamoly... I mean, it is ... yea.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

think outside the box, people.

shift some paradigms.

play some wario ware already.

come on, people.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I'm impressed by your citation of Spartalacus, ApM. I would also recommend tapeworm/clysm's Johnny's Odessy.

Ah, hell, it's all clysm/wourme's fault, really. Johnny's Odyssey is fantastic.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
insulting the player's intelligence can often make a good game mediocre. (see mario vs donkey kong, recent zeldas.)

It's a bit deeper than that, though that's how it feels. It's the same reason why they try to teach kids in film school not to open a movie with the subtitle "Berlin 1945."

Yes, Warioware. That's it exactly.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

Okay! Please elaborate, I think I know what you mean.

Pongism?
Lackey wrote:
You take it personally I guess?

It has a lot to do with my personality, undoubtedly. I hate authoritarians and absolutists often piss me off. Unfortunately, people take popular consensus to be a sign that both are okay. (Tell a common hipster that you don't like Modest Mouse and see what happens.) Chalk it up to democracy (and the misunderstanding of)? I don't know.

(I should write an article about this.)

Wes: Aren't pacing preferences relative? I know plenty of people who can't play any standard RPGs. At all.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I disagree with Toups on a basic level

what is the world coming to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes a bad (or mediocre) game? Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Wes: Aren't pacing preferences relative? I know plenty of people who can't play any standard RPGs. At all.

Not at all! RPGs are slow paced games, and as such, the conventions were created in direct relation to the pacing. The least successful RPGs are those that don't understand this, or change one or two things from the basic template without understanding that those conventions exist out of consideration for the pacing.

But to answer your question, I guess some people just don't like slow paced games.

-Wes
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Complex controls can destroy a game. When you are using almost every button on the controller for a different function you designed the game wrong. You aparently designed a game for a keyboard or special controller and failed at designing a console game.

This is actually the case with Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi, and why I don't like it.
I'll buy the fact that it's a fighting game and that you'll need alternative commands for your controls to approach each scenario. But a saving grace for a lot of console fighters is that there are shortcut commands that you can use instead of putting your fingers through too much work. You keep the right side of your controller as the default for all of your moves, and for the triggers, you set them to the nigh impossible commands that you can't perform on a moments notice in the middle of a fight. (Speaking for the PlayStation - you can easily press 'O' and 'X' at once in the middle of a match, but you're need to set one of the trigger buttons with the command for 'Square' and 'O' since they are so far apart, etc.)
But see,Tenkaichi doesn't have any shortcut commands..., because you're actually expect to have you use every single button on the control at least once to get the full potential out of a game. Which I haven't unlocked yet, because the controls are too hard. Catch 22.

Then again, this is DBZ, so no one likely cares, anyway.
xvs07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some time now I've been meaning to ask whether flow theory as popularized by Csikszentmihalyi ("she-sent-me-hi" seems to be the consensus) has ever been discussed on this forum in any depth. This seems as good a topic as any.

In two words, flow is optimal experience. The crux of the sensation tends to be a dissociation with time, such that the individual is so immersed in their activity that they seem to control it absolutely and without limit. I'm pretty sure that at least some of us here know what I'm talking about beyond words.

Personally, I think flow is the main reason why we play games (or do anything, really). Then again, I didn't exactly flow through System Shock 2... more sort of crept, bolted, and shrieked like a small child. Love that game.. .... [/ramble]

Anyhow, if anybody's interested I could probably dig up some related material on Google. Then again, so could y'all.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:

In two words, flow is optimal experience. The crux of the sensation tends to be a dissociation with time, such that the individual is so immersed in their activity that they seem to control it absolutely and without limit. I'm pretty sure that at least some of us here know what I'm talking about beyond words.

Personally, I get that sort of feeling with fighting games. When you're in a fierce match with somebody, and you're putting everything that you've got into it, you sort of reach that nirvana that I think you're trying to talk about. I only get it when I feeling like I have compete mastery over the character that I'm playing as.

Like in MvC2, when I beat someone with my best 'pixxe' team (Felicia, Son Son, Captain Commando) it does little to boost my experience with the game, since based on with character choices that my opponent makes (...and how I see them play before I step up), I can mildly image how the fight is going to turn out. But If I go toe-to-toe against a team that is drastically of higher tier than mine is (a team that has a Cable, or Sentinel, or Storm; characters that makes them hard to approach), those are matches where I feel like I have to give a little more than what I'd normally have to do to win. I try and redirect my strategies and play more mind games, if only to stay unpredictable and at lest appear like I'm trying to over take them when I'm really just...trying to appear impressive. Or something.
I lost my train of thought, but yeah!, I know that feeling that you're talking about, xvs07. And I think that I mostly get it with fighters because you really do have the control of the entire game in your hands, since what you do directly to manipulate the controls in your favor will determine whether or not you win.
xvs07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly feel flow with fighters, too, but I've seen people in flow states on both bullet-hell Shrine Maiden shooters and Katamari, and it's just as impressive. Honestly, if you wanna know what flow looks like, go check out Blublu's speedrun of Cave Story. Including Hell, Ballos, and all, a final time of 1:23:23. Nutty thing is, there are probably folks out there who've done better.

According to all credible sources (Csikszentmihalyi, Buddhists, various martial artists, professional athletes and trainers, and, of course, gamers and game designers), flow requires that we know what we're trying to achieve, know how to go about it, and know/believe that it will be both challenging and doable. When all those coincide, that's when magic moments can happen: distractions, concerns, worries, and time itself are forgotten as if they never existed. Indeed, nothing exists in those moments except the task and you, and those are pretty much the same thing at that point.

It's a good thing I'm both busy and lazy, or I'd probably try to beg my way into the next issue with some hairy, ranty article on the subject.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, if you've got the research and knowlegde to fall back on, you're halfway to writing something.

Edit: And on the topic of timed runs, ever since I showed my friend that episode of Cienimatec on G4 of the world record of completing Super Mario 64 (somewhere under 20 minutes), his brother has been trying to match, or beat that time for quite a while. But I can barley do the "stair glitch" myself (backward up the stairs that lead up to the final Bowser by landing near to base of the steps and pushing jump incredible fast to shoot up the steps and push yourself through the doors), let alone perform it in one try. I think his fastest time was somewhere around 24 minutes, which is still impressive.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
ApM wrote:

have you played urban yeti?

I've played it a bit, now. I'm not entirely convinced that the developers didn't know exactly what they were doing.

I mean:
Quote:
It's a toll booth, Urban Yeti.
The toll is $4.
Looks like you need a job. Find a newspaper and check the classifieds.

That's more than just a ridiculous excuse for a fetch-quest leading to a Tapper minigame where soup kitchen customers punch you in the face. That's an intentionally ridiculous excuse.

Also: I enjoy the fact that the overworld looks and plays exactly like GTA1, for no reason.
Toups the Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most games are bad because they fail to have a coherent, controlled vision and are, instead, a mishmash of misplaced elements produced and executed by a bunch of disparate people (ie the many many people making the game). Think about the best games: they are almost invariably the product of one strong personality with a single vision (Metal Gear, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill).

Thats not to say that this is all that ruins games, or that it even applies to most games, but I think its a very important thing. Even fucking tedious games can work if they present a very well collected vision (Final Fantasy Tactics).
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I wouldn't call the Reality On The Norm series bad, even if I also wouldn't call it successful.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's also a lot of really dry games that are probably the result of one strong personality's vision.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also a lot of really masturbatory games that are probably the result of one strong personality's vision.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like jizzmoppa?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also be noted that El Ballo is a really terrible game. Ambrosia Software is losing their touch (also in that it seems that they really haven't actually made a game for so long). I doubt it's the failed result of one man's strong vision, but I wouldn't doubt it.

The reason for bad games being the result of one strong personality's vision is that the vision is profoundly mediocre. Too many people's life ambition is to make another zelda game (as opposed to make something of their own).

I enjoy masturbatory games because I have a high tolerance for bullshit. The scale that goes from mediocre to good is pretty subjective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: