The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The game where you steal cars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st1nky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: The game where you steal cars. Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I finally started cheating in San Andreas. GTA games are always really fun to cheat in, I don't know why Rockstar doesn't just add the cheats as unlockables after you beat the game like Naughty Dog did with Jak 3. That'd be great.

I've never had the desire to cheat in a GTA. I like the fact that the game requires a certain amount of work from me to be able to do things. I must buy weapons (or in San Andreas, acquire them through turf wars.) I must drive quickly and accurately to diminish my wanted rating.

My favorite thing about San Andreas is that, for a time, it enables the one cheat that has always intrigued me from the beginning of the series.[/quote]
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only get the desire after I've beaten it, except in GTA3s case where I cheated throughout the whole game. God, that was a fun game with cheats.

Oddly, GTA games are the only games where I find myself cheating. Unless you count using the Konami Code in old nes games as cheating.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I read the title of this as Steer Cars... wow.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
For some reason I read the title of this as Steer Cars... wow.

Shit man. Imagine that. A game where you steer cars. I like it.

Outrun comes close. But you are still, you know, racing. What if you just want to steer? Not go anywhere in particular? Not even, you know, necessarily go fast. The focus of the game being on really detailed simulation of how you steer and pedal/brake on ordinary vehicles.

I'd like that a lot.
ajutla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTA3 feels...I want to say "broken," but that's not it, exactly. It's just that it feels rough and shaky, conceptually; a hodgepodge of minigames within the greater sandbox.

And I think that makes cheating feel less...consequential. It's not like things were tight and solid and perfectly-considered before you started cheating. You aren't betraying the designers or compromising the game. The fun in GTA3 tends to come from screwing around and doing whatever, anyway, so cheating is actually conducive to that.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
The fun in GTA3 tends to come from screwing around and doing whatever, anyway, so cheating is actually conducive to that.

Exactly.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like GTA.

I never did, ever since the first top-down perspective game. I came close to liking the 60's British edition they made, but the gameplay in general just leads me away.

It feels... empty.
The 3d ones do nothing more but amplify this emptiness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

<i>Outrun</i> comes close. But you are still, you know, racing. What if you just want to steer? Not go anywhere in particular? Not even, you know, necessarily go fast. The focus of the game being on really detailed simulation of how you steer and pedal/brake on ordinary vehicles.

I'd like that a lot.

Tokyo Bus Driver for the Dreamcast comes pretty close to this. It's a game where you have to safely follow the bus routes around Tokyo. I hear the sequel's coming out on PS2 soon...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... I don't really like GTA either. I tried to like it in 2D, but could not. When I finally saw what the PS2 game really was I stoped playing it. I just can't seem to give the series another chance. I did have a bit of fun with them for a bit, but I view it is a more of a door opener for better games.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

Outrun comes close. But you are still, you know, racing. What if you just want to steer? Not go anywhere in particular? Not even, you know, necessarily go fast. The focus of the game being on really detailed simulation of how you steer and pedal/brake on ordinary vehicles.

I'd like that a lot.

Tokyo Bus Driver for the Dreamcast comes pretty close to this. It's a game where you have to safely follow the bus routes around Tokyo. I hear the sequel's coming out on PS2 soon...

-Wes

The Dreamcast is pretty import friendly, isn't it?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
The Dreamcast is pretty import friendly, isn't it?
If you can burn a Utopia disc it is.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
huh?

If you have the right DC you burn a Utopia CD and pop it in. Then you can play import games without modding. If I am recalling how to do this right.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
huh?

If you have the right DC you burn a Utopia CD and pop it in. Then you can play import games without modding. If I am recalling how to do this right.

you are..
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the few that have a Dreamcast Mod Chip. Yep. I modded my Dreamcast to play import games instead of using a boot disc.

But yeah, the Dreamcast is probably the most import-friendly system out there.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm one of the few that have a Dreamcast Mod Chip. Yep. I modded my Dreamcast to play import games instead of using a boot disc.

I am one of the few who modded my JP (pre-us release) DC just so i could play a US Crazy Taxi...
st1nky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
The fun in GTA3 tends to come from screwing around and doing whatever, anyway, so cheating is actually conducive to that.

I haven't really ever played GTA3. In San Andreas and Vice City most my screwing around is based on doing things in the game. In Vice City I'd rob stores until I got caught. I never had the desire to cheat because it was more fun for me to do laps around the city getting bribes and such.

In San Andreas I just enjoy driving around and making CJ do the sorts of thing he woudl do if he was a real person. I go pick up my boys and smoke an L, go on vacation or whack a drug dealer and blow the money on strippers. I don't bother seeing how high I can get my wanted rating. Cheats don't really help me in doing that.

I also didn't make the point I wanted to make.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st1nky wrote:
In San Andreas I just enjoy driving around and making CJ do the sorts of thing he woudl do if he was a real person. I go pick up my boys and smoke an L, go on vacation or whack a drug dealer and blow the money on strippers. I don't bother seeing how high I can get my wanted rating. Cheats don't really help me in doing that.

This might be the best point you've brought up. EVER.

I'll say more later. I have a headache now. I'm sure you all understand.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
huh?

The utopia disc only boots some games up in 50hz on a PAL DC though.
Such as Ikaruga, which loses something when it has borders and slowdown.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Bus Guide is simultaneously hypnotically relaxing and utterly fucking maddening.

I want to get good enough at steering the bus to be able to turn corners in the first-person viewpoint without hanging myself up on a curb, but I don't know if there's actually enough peripheral information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason many of us were more inclinced to cheat in earlier GTA games was because it made the process of palying the game much smoother. If I died during a mission, I'd lose all my weapons, so would have to go get some cash, buy some more, and try the mission again. It was just too tedious! They seemed to pick up on this with GTA 4, realising life was too short for that crap, and thus they made getting around and such much more convenient. I didn't use a single cheat before fininishing GTA 4, something I can't say the same for the earlier games.

Also, I guess it's just fun spawning a fighter jet in front of you.

I always wanted to play Toyko Bus Driver and other games of its ilk, like Trainz and such. One I saw recently was EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR which is supposed to be not too shabby. For some reason, carefully driving around simulated environments appeals to me... at least in certain moods. I guess it's cheaper than driving around for real these days, too. Also, I don't own a truck.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/01/euro-truck-simulator-demo/

Sit back and feel your ass grow!

Rider v2 is also pretty great! I wonder if any newer versions have been released since this one...

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=1428
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: